Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where, in Michigan, can you ride some trails, or roads, or whatever you'd call them, to see some beautiful scenice views. Not necessarily look out over landscape (but that's obviously a plus) but even really cool trails. Not really looking to go "wheeling", but a nice expedition style trip would be exactly what I am thinking of.

Basically, i've been looking at pictures of trails and trips through places like Colorado, Montana, New Mexico...etc and I wanted to know where in Michigan, if any, you can find something like those places. I know it'd be pretty easy to find those sights in places like Colorado and Montana, but i'm short on time, and money to take a cross country trip.

I've been to the UP, but just barely scratched the surface of places to visit up there, i'm sure. I'd add some pictures, but I think anybody that has seen the types of places i'm talking about doesn't need a picture as an example.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get lost that works for me
Now there's an interesting destination idea.

Just pick a trail, close your eyes and don't stop driving till you run out of gas?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tons of cool stuff in the UP. its just the drive to get there.

we are headed there in the morning.
Where do you have planned to go?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yankee Springs has several state forest trails that you can leisurely drive on for several hours. No ORV needed, however some trails require you to have a state park pass to legally access. The DNR do patrol this area so do not drive like a crazy person. They can ticket you for erosion/destruction of property among other things. These trails are meant for hunting,hiking access, however they tolerate people driving them with 4x4 vehicles as long as they are doing it lawfully and staying on the trail.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Barry state game and Allegan forest are being abused and the DNR is really getting stiff about people visiting these areas. From what I hear Allegan forest is damn near babysat and Barry state game/yankee springs is coming into radar due to abuse.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I couldn't even find fire tower. Is it that figure 8 deal that looks like its been closed for a decade.at the south east end of the turnaround?

There is another trail that has very recently had rocks and stumps placed at a turnaround location due to a tree that had fallen further down the trail.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,635 Posts
Those were not turn around spots last year.

If you enter off deep Lake rd/Yankee springs rd. Travel to the first intersection, turn right. That's fire tower. That trail used to lead back to gun lake rd.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This just makes me sad. There was a cool drive up in Alpena where you could drive along the shoreline for about amile and drove out onto the beach area as well, was a great place to swing off and take a quick scenic drive.

As of two years ago, it got all rocked off and nobody can use it, except walk. Fucking kids kept tearing up the cattails for mud bogging.

·
Field Repairs
175 Posts
Go to Copper Harbor in the UP. Drive to the end of Hwy 41. Where the pavement ends, your journey begins. I highly recommend a good map, a GPS, and the knowledge on how to use both.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buy the mystic michigan series of books.

Also, do some waterfall tours in the UP. there are a bunch of them. there are also a ton of trails up there. I would love to get lost up there for a few weeks.
I will look at the books, i've never heard of them before.

We've been to a few of the falls in the UP. Not nearly all of them, but most of the good ones. I really want to go hiking through the pictured rocks trails, it would be really sweet to take a couple days and backpack through there

·
Whoop Whoop
17,241 Posts
I will look at the books, i've never heard of them before.

We've been to a few of the falls in the UP. Not nearly all of them, but most of the good ones. I really want to go hiking through the pictured rocks trails, it would be really sweet to take a couple days and backpack through there

Coworker hiked some of those trails last year. He is a photography nutjob, so there were some awesome pics

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Coworker hiked some of those trails last year. He is a photography nutjob, so there were some awesome pics
I was still in school a few years ago, and I did a project for a backpacking class. We had to come up with a 3 day backpacking trip; had to plan for all food, cooking, sleeping, routes...etc.

I would really love to do that trip. I would have to change it a bit since it was meant for 3 people, but changing it to two would be easy enough.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts