Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:teehee:

Just got this one.

Comments: Is your truck still available? I would like to purchase the truck if price is a little negotiable. I am located in Georgia, and not sure how we could work out transaction, as my Credit Union will not write a check until they have the title.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Send them a copy of Obama's birth certificate that is circulating the 'net.

(hey, they didn't say what property the title needed to be for)

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,290 Posts
Seems legit. Send him the title. What's the worst that can happen?

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
I am sure it is legit. Since I have a few weeks free you could just sign the title over to me and I would drive it down there for you.:teehee:

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get that through pm's on this site?
No it was in response to my autotrader ad. I actually just googled his cell phone number and came up with an ad on a forum where he just sold his 93 silverado, so I am thinking it is actually legit, I do know that a lot of credit unions will not actually give a buyer a check with out the title. I had to meet the guy who bought my jeep at his credit union with the title......

this guy is in Georgia.

Seems legit. Send him the title. What's the worst that can happen?
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=50171&highlight=prowler :teehee:

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
No it was in response to my autotrader ad. I actually just googled his cell phone number and came up with an ad on a forum where he just sold his 93 silverado, so I am thinking it is actually legit, I do know that a lot of credit unions will not actually give a buyer a check with out the title. I had to meet the guy who bought my jeep at his credit union with the title......

this guy is in Georgia.

i got a loan for a truck from a small credit union last year and they needed a title before they would give me a check. it may be legit, i dont know if i'd send the title for my truck to georgia just to find out though

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,290 Posts

this guy is in Georgia.

Stop being a ninny and close the deal.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
My c.u. talked to who I bought my jeep from over the phone and they handed me a check. Ask what the name of the credit union and give them a call.

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
i would talk to the credit union and possibly send the title to them. if you can work something out like that.
X2- If you can contact the CU directly, it may be legit. when I was with the CU in Plymouth that's the kind of thing they did, too. I'd tell him full price on the truck tho, for the hassle.

now get rid of it and buy another jeep!

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Don't let him fly up here to see the truck, or drive him around to get the money... or take him to a hotel... unless it is for suprize buttsecks!

·
18,553 Posts
Hmmmm

When I bought my truck my C.U. wanted to stamp the title as the leanholder, before they cut a check.....but of course the dealer wasn't going to let the truck or title go until a check was issued.

I ended up getting a check from the C.U., taking it to the dealer.....and then going staright back to the C.U. to a nervous loan officer who was very eager to stamp the title.

So yeah, it could be true.

Mine was all local though.....

·
Bird is my bitch
1,406 Posts
We had to do this before for a kid that lived 3 hours away that bought a truck from us. We got talked directly with the credit union and mailed them the unsigned title. They stamped their lein on it and mailed it back with the check. Once the check was cleared from my bank we signed the title and gave him the truck.
Since we were dealing with the bank instead of the guy we weren't too worried about a scam and the bank faxed us a receipt explaining the whole process on it.
The check was issued from a Michigan credit union so it only took one day to clear our bank. I would think an out of state check would take longer.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
actually emailed the guy today, he is a legit buyer, just have to work through the banks to get it done.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
actually emailed the guy today, he is a legit buyer, just have to work through the banks to get it done.
grat's.

I've worked with nervous credit unions in the past as well.

my current credit union however only insists that I eventually get them a copy of the title/registration showing them as lien holder. if a borrower doesn't supply the needed information, they threaten to turn it into a signature loan, with much higher interest rates, and other pita consequences.

I never bothered to test them on it.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts

this guy is in Georgia.

Agreed. When I bought my Vette from a small broker in OH, I had to write him two checks - one for the down payment and a second for the balance of the price before he'd give me the title to take to the credit union. He would hold the check for the loan balance awaiting the check from the credit union - so I could take the car and title. If I skipped out, he'd prosecute me for a bad check - after he verified my address was legit, that I owned the house, and ran my credit report. When he got the credit union check (which the credit union overnighted) , he mailed my personal check (torn in half) back.

It can be done, but there is risk involved...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts