Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I've seen my share of general breakdowns ( non accidents ) and usually the most severe has been a sheered axle/wheel or along those lines. Today I see this Lumina/Sunbird/whatever FWD Chevy broke down in the left turn lane at Cherry Hill and Wayne road. His engine/transaxle lying on the pavement with both wheels tipped upward like all the motor mounts failed at once. Wish I had a camera. It didn't look to be in too bad a shape either for as old as I think it was.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
Engine Cradle failed; someone forgot to have the recall fixed on their W body its actually a common problem

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine Cradle failed; someone forgot to have the recall fixed on their W body its actually a common problem
that is downright scary to think its "common". Then again, the throttle issue with Liberty's is "common" enough that most customers know about it even though Chrysler denies it. A club member got T-boned in hers when it decided to stop working whilst pulling into Telegraph traffic.

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
yep i have fixed a few

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Those are always interesting...

I saw a grand cherokee once (ZJ, soon after their launch), sitting in a intersection, both driveshafts laying on the ground, the t-case literally exploded, piece of the case, and gears scattered around..

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
A lot of shit has to go uncared for for a long time for a whole cradle to fall out. I imagine there were signs of said problems for months before it actually happened.

Let me guess... woman driver?

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of shit has to go uncared for for a long time for a whole cradle to fall out. I imagine there were signs of said problems for months before it actually happened.

Let me guess... woman driver?
Nope, a guy in his mid twenties. I was going the other way, but another guy in a lifted red TJ had stopped behind him and was calling someone on his cell.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
probably. I've never cared for cars in general as much as trucks and exotics. I thoguht late 80's early 90's Lumina's were FWD.
they are, but SUnbirds aren't Chevies, and there is a bit of a size/appearance difference between the two, One is a W-body, the other a J-body of the Pontiac persuasion

1 - 14 of 14 Posts