Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we were at crooks and big beaver today, there were Troy police cars sitting at the lights on the east and west bound sides.. as soon as our light turned red, the officers pulled out and blocked east and west bound traffic...

We're thinking wtf is going on here.

No sooner than I could think of what was going on, here comes 4 Troy motor unit (bikes) and 4 motor unit OC sherrifs and about 15 patriot gaurd riders, followed by a Troy PD car, and an OC sherrif car, that preceeded about 350 cars, I'd say better than 75% of them were dressed in formal military dress.

I've only seen one military funeral procession in my life before, and it was much much smaller than this one.

It was pretty cool seeing that, although we were kinda in a hurry, there weren't to many words spoken in the car (and bio-bill was one of them) the time that they were passing.

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Good to see the support, although never good to see a fallen soldier, this was pretty damn cool.

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
Some of those processions are very cool to watch. When Chris Eggle was killed, I was working for the City of Cadillac at the time, and helped to block and intersection for it. There were something like 70 border patrol vehicles, and I bet something like 200-300 vehicles total. Very cool thing to watch.

·
Full taste of tender
5,373 Posts
saw it too :thumb: very neat. but i saw it when they were still at the funeral home, right by my house :thumb:

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
It's great to see and hear that the Miltary takes these very seriously. It means a lot.

:usa:

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Hmm wonder if it was for the son of the teacher at my girls school. He was killed in Iraq very recently she took this week off.

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Sinister Minister
2,269 Posts
My uncle passed away a year and a half ago, at the ripe old age of 49. He was an officer for Livonia. His funeral was one of the most amazing things I have ever been a part of! It's amazing to see the comradery between all of the departments at a time like that. They place guards in front of the casket and do a changing of the guards, I don't quite remember how often the did that.

When we (the family) walked out of the funeral there were about 100 uniformed officers lined up on both sides of the walk soluting.

The procession was easily 300 cars and we drove nonstop from Livonia to Southfield, the had police cars blocking every intersection along the way, and every fire departmen/police station we passed the officers who were there would be outside saluting as the whole procession passed!

Then off course the folding of the flag and the 21 gun salute. That was a hard day, but it was great to be apart of something like that!

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
My uncle passed away a year and a half ago, at the ripe old age of 49. He was an officer for Livonia. His funeral was one of the most amazing things I have ever been a part of! It's amazing to see the comradery between all of the departments at a time like that. They place guards in front of the casket and do a changing of the guards, I don't quite remember how often the did that.

When we (the family) walked out of the funeral there were about 100 uniformed officers lined up on both sides of the walk soluting.

The procession was easily 300 cars and we drove nonstop from Livonia to Southfield, the had police cars blocking every intersection along the way, and every fire departmen/police station we passed the officers who were there would be outside saluting as the whole procession passed!

Then off course the folding of the flag and the 21 gun salute. That was a hard day, but it was great to be apart of something like that!

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:
wow...good story! I haven't seen anything like that in person, but I can only imagine how it must feel to witness.

Was he killed in the line of duty?

·
The Biohazards
4,147 Posts
Yeah it was a site... at first when we saw the patrol cars I thought it may be a seatbelt trap or something. They then blocked the roads and it was a site to watch... felt like I should salute, cry, honk, something. We just sat there in amazement and just as we thought it would end because there werent anymore funeral flags on the cars cars were still coming with hazards on. Probably took about a half hour for them to get through the intersection. Good to see the support of our troops.

·
Sinister Minister
2,269 Posts
wow...good story! I haven't seen anything like that in person, but I can only imagine how it must feel to witness.

Was he killed in the line of duty?
No, he actually had a heart attack. 49 years old is too young. His sons were 26 and 24 and he wasn't able to see his grandson who was born about 5-6 months later. Sad story, both of his sons are police officers as well.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
When my cousin passed away last year. The most amazing thing I remember was driving through the hundreds of Patriot Guard. They lined the parking lot where the funeral was. They were helping to block traffic for us to get on to Lapeer Rd. Totally amazing. Also the Sherriff and local PD blocked traffic for every intersection and onramp to I-75 from Lake Orion to Holly. They were leapfrogging past the procession all the way up I-75.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
last fall my wife's cousin passed away at 43. he was a detroit firefighter and his father was the long time fire cheif in detroit. I was absolutely amazing how they handled it just the sheer respect for one of their brethren. he was a great guy and still miss him alot.

·
Poseur Extraordinaire
4,349 Posts
My uncle was a firefighter in NYC and died in the line of fire back in the late 90's....and before 9/11 it was quite rare for a fireman to die.

10,000 people, mostly firefighters from around the country showed up to the funeral. Rudy Guliani (mayor at the time) spoke at the funeral and was awesome to me and my entire family...very sincere.

We walked out of the church and there were thousands of firefighters in full dress lineing the streets the entire way to the cemetary.

The NYPD also did the missing man flyby with police helicopters as we left the church.

One of the saddest times in my life, but also one of the most amazing at the same time.

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
Its strange to me, I was an Honor Guard when Gerald Ford was brought to the Museum in GR. That was quite honestly the coolest expirence of my life. However, The procession for President Ford, was not near as large as the Procession for Chris Eggle.

·
Poseur Extraordinaire
4,349 Posts
Weird...just drove to my Muskegon office and passed the patriot guard....local soldier was brought home for his funeral today right around the corner where I work. Nice to see everyone lining the streets and all the flags out of respect.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
this is probably the only thread in the pub right now worth reading

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa::usa: :usa:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts