Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched everywhere but couldnt find a definite answer. My shackle mounts are crappy and are about to fall off and was wondering if the reciever pin is a good and safe rear recovery point. Ive seen it used many times but something about a 5/8" pin seems so much weaker than a 3/4" shackle.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
I've beat the living hell out of those pins they work good
Probably not as politically correct as a D ring, but I've seen shitty weld jobs fail on those too.
My rear bumper on my bronco has reciever stock welded into it and I drilled a hole thru the center and use a 5/8 (or bigger, can't remember) hitch pin.
Up front, I got a huge circle ring and use clevi to strap up...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The proper way, from what I understand, is to put a clevis mount INTO the receiver. You are still putting all of the load on the pin, but the tight fit of the mount and the receiver tube make it a double sheer type situation.

If you just put the strap on the hitch pin with no clevis mount in there the force will be (at worst case) in the center of the pin. This will create a bending moment on the pin, and would lead to a much easier failure.

That being said I pull on my hitch pin all the time, I have never so much as tweaked mine. I should probabley also note that I use a nice thick two-inch strap for most of my recoveries so compared to some I usually pull light.

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
I have used just the pin several times with no issues. I do it all the time.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,867 Posts
I have (2) 10,000lb hooks in my reciver. They point outwards left and outwards right. Put a 1/2" bolt in and call it good :) if you need pics PM me

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The proper way, from what I understand, is to put a clevis mount INTO the receiver. You are still putting all of the load on the pin, but the tight fit of the mount and the receiver tube make it a double sheer type situation.

If you just put the strap on the hitch pin with no clevis mount in there the force will be (at worst case) in the center of the pin. This will create a bending moment on the pin, and would lead to a much easier failure.

That being said I pull on my hitch pin all the time, I have never so much as tweaked mine. I should probabley also note that I use a nice thick two-inch strap for most of my recoveries so compared to some I usually pull light.
The pin is in double shear regardless of whether or not you use a shackle insert. The only advantage the shackle receiver insert has over the pin is that it distributes the load evenly across the pin, whereas with just the strap and pin it would be slightly more likely to bend the pin. That being said, it is extremely unlikely that the pin is going to bend or break.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The pin is in double shear regardless of whether or not you use a shackle insert. The only advantage the shackle receiver insert has over the pin is that it distributes the load evenly across the pin, whereas with just the strap and pin it would be slightly more likely to bend the pin. That being said, it is extremely unlikely that the pin is going to bend or break.
exactly my point. using a shackle insert eliminates the bending moment on the pin.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
exactly my point. using a shackle insert eliminates the bending moment on the pin.

Oh, I thought you were trying to say using just the pin it wasn't in double shear. Actually for the record, it's causing multiple moments since it isn't just bending around one axis. Also, being that the pins are made of the material they are I don't see this being a problem. I have never heard it failing like this. I'm not 100% sure on the material but my guess is it's pretty reasonable to say that the yield strength of the pin far exceeds that of any average strap, so the strap would break before the pin.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yeah. i'm with you.

I did use a real cheap pin for awhile...I did bend it enough to have to tap it out with a hammer........but it was no biggie

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yeah. i'm with you.

I did use a real cheap pin for awhile...I did bend it enough to have to tap it out with a hammer........but it was no biggie
Wow, I would imagine that cheapo ones are made of cheapo material and that is probably why. I do use a receiver block/shackle because I have a 4" wide strap (go big or go home right?) and it doesn't fit in the receiver.

·
KISS MY AVATAR
5,375 Posts
I like to just use a 16d nail through the pin hole to hold my strap in place....it might bend...but they're cheap to replace

:baa:

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I like to just use a 16d nail through the pin hole to hold my strap in place....it might bend...but they're cheap to replace

:baa:

Good idea, I've been using 3.5" Drywall screws but it cuts into the strap a little. a nail is a much better solution

1 - 14 of 14 Posts