Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 89 Cherokee with a steel rim on the rear driver side. The rim is rusted to the axle/ Drum. Any tips on getting the rim off? I've tried beating it with a 5lb hammer from the back side, using an entire cane of Kroil on it. Beat on the front side with same 5lb hammer. Drove with all lugs off, including a couple of donuts in either direction. Any other Ideas??

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Might take more then slow figure 8's:sonicjay: Loosen lug nuts and lightem up. Im thinking donuts. No reason you cant have fun getting your tire off. :rock:
Other than the loose wheel will eat the lugs and the tire could come off while in motion. I had this happen on my last international. I wasn't trying to take the wheel off but it was only a day after not putting the lugnuts on tight enough that the wheel fell off while driving.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
:poke: :miff: :poke:

actually i'm serious. i don't like that option, but when you have a city 1ton truck that hasn't had the wheels taken off in what seems like 20years and the biggest sledge available won't take it off, then that was the only other option at the time.

AND NO I DID NOT SAY TO DO DOUGHNUTS. i said SLOW figure eights until it pops. but once it pops, try not to drive on it as yes, it can/will mess up the lugs.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Keep soaking it every day for a week with pb blaster.

Also, do you have an air chisel? Get a blunt tip and hit it all over the center of the rim. (You could hit it into a block of brass or something so its not directly hitting/damaging the rim if you didn't want to mark it up).

Those things work wonders for breaking/vibrating something loose.

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was trying the driving around with the lugs loosened. Even did a couple donuts on black top and the Frickin thing is still on there. I may keep soaking it for a week then try again. Heat didn't seem to have any effect. I may try to track down a slide hammer, see if that'll do anything.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sound dangerous but....Loosen lugnuts just a bit.Jack up the rear end (1-2" in the air) Get in, put it in gear, give it a bit of gas, say 10 to 15mph. Have a buddy lower the jack. With some luck it will shock them loose.

Or go to your local tire store, and pay a couple of bucks to rotate the tires. Mark your tires first so they don't pull a fast one.

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
Sound dangerous but....Loosen lugnuts just a bit.Jack up the rear end (1-2" in the air) Get in, put it in gear, give it a bit of gas, say 10 to 15mph. Have a buddy lower the jack. With some luck it will shock them loose.

Or go to your local tire store, and pay a couple of bucks to rotate the tires. Mark your tires first so they don't pull a fast one.

x2 go to your local walmart its cheap!http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=495845

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't let Wal Mart work on my kids Power wheel. Most of ther techs up here don't kow shit about vehicle maint. But that's another post!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
yeah that happened to my friends ranger, we had to soak it for a long time in blaster, then heat it up and beat it with a BFH, eventually it came off

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got it off, took it to the Tire shop near me and with a real torch and 2 10lb sledges we finally knocked it loose. Now it finally looks like a Jeep with bigger tires on it. Went from 215's to 265's. Now to lift it some and get my 31's under it.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,272 Posts
your just shy of 31's now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts