Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k, so here is the deal. i bought this 460 from a junk yard and pulled it there. we got it home, stripped it down and replaced all the gaskets, waterpump, and timing gears/chain. we went with 429 pre 71 timing gears. i ran this motor for about 3 months and all of a sudden it started running rough. found out i broke a valve spring so i jerked both heads and replaced all the springs. ran it for another 3 months or so and it started smoking, so i pulled the heads again have the valve guides neuralized and new valve seals put in. put it back together and its still smoking so im assuming its the rings. i had intentions of pulling it this winter/spring and rebuilding the whole motor, but im going over the road and wont have much time to do it, so screw it, im goona get rid of it. im goona start at $600, ive got damn near $900 into this motor so i think thats a good price. im not goona pull it until someone decides they want it so they can hear it run. it runs great just burns some oil. im going over the road on janurary 12th so if someone decides they want it, ill pull it in between my runs.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,448 Posts
If I may make a suggestion. have you tried to free up your oil control rings yet? if not use a can of GM top engine cleaner. you pour it right down the carb. drown the engine with it while running and let sit. I have fixed tons of engine with it over the years. old engines have tons of varnish in the rings because of the older oil additives. try it and see if it doesn't clear out.
by the way after you let it sit for an hour or two it will smoke like you have never seen. once it clears out it should be much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.