Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A cheapthrills offroad member was involved in a rollover at silver lake today. Everyone involved is ok one member was taken to the hospital for minnor bumps and scraps. The lifted Ford Explorer crested a hill that was a near vertical drop on the back side. The front diff dug into the sand sending the rear of the vehical to fly foward landing on its roof and sliding down the hill. More will be posted when the other members get home along with pics.

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
When will this end.

Nothing sucks more than coming over a hill and facing straight down... its good nobody was hurt.

New rule for teh dunes, full cage.

·
1984 Jeep CJ-7
574 Posts
I saw one of the cheap thrills guys on the side of the highway on the way to silver lake. Said his motor seized.

I hope they don't require full cages, but if i were in charge i would.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
When will this end.

Nothing sucks more than coming over a hill and facing straight down... its good nobody was hurt.

New rule for teh dunes, full cage.
It will end when people stop going to fast, driving sideways on hills, not paying attenction to how steep the backside of the hills are etc.

Seriously though, what is the big deal? it's the offroading, people roll, life goes on.

Full cages should be pretty much used like seatbelts when you are offroading, dunes or not.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw one of the cheap thrills guys on the side of the highway on the way to silver lake. Said his motor seized.

I hope they don't require full cages, but if i were in charge i would.
Got a discription of the truck?

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
It will end when people stop going to fast, driving sideways on hills, not paying attenction to how steep the backside of the hills are etc.

Seriously though, what is the big deal? it's the offroading, people roll, life goes on.

Full cages should be pretty much used like seatbelts when you are offroading, dunes or not.
The big deal is when people get seriously injured. Do you scope out the backside of every hill you climb?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This was one of those cases that any lifted 4x4 that went over that hill would flip on its lid it was just that steep. There was a stock truck that went over the same hill in the same spot that almost went over aswell right before the roll. It was not a case of going to fast more of a case of a large drop off that was unkown to the driver.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
This is why when I started driving at the dunes i would drive along the ouside of all of those hills to see how bad they are crested, and figure out where i could go over.

You can Drive BETWEEN all of the big hills where the surface is low to look at the backsides of the hills.

That would be the SMART approach to going over them, especially in windy conditions

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The big deal is when people get seriously injured. Do you scope out the backside of every hill you climb?
Actually, at the dunes and the first time through, yes. The dunes change on a daily basis - we all know that. We also all know that they frequently form pretty large drop-off's on their backsides.

For me, when I go to the dunes I take a dirt bike as well. Typically my first few times through are on that just so I know where to avoid in the truck because of drop-offs

Edit: and to be honest, even when two tracking/doing any wheeling, typically before the first vehicle crests any major hill the backside is checked. Its this crazy thing called common sense

Double edit: Hope everyone/the rig involved in this incident are OK....

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,872 Posts
best thing to do.... goo to the top of the hill but don't crest it... get out of truck walk to the top and take a look at the drop. Get back in truck , backdown and go if its good. If it isn't, go elswhere

42,948 Posts
I've driven at the dunes a gabillion times. This year, I was going a little too fast and came over a peaked hill, and landed on my front bumper. It was a crap shoot if I was going to go over, luckily it came back on the wheels.

point of story, don't get to comfortable with your dune driving abilities.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
i almost flipped over out there once when going over testhill. there was a lip and it caved and dropped the zj. i had to change my underwear. hope everyone is alright, can we know who it was yet?

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
This was one of those cases that any lifted 4x4 that went over that hill would flip on its lid it was just that steep. There was a stock truck that went over the same hill in the same spot that almost went over aswell right before the roll. It was not a case of going to fast more of a case of a large drop off that was unkown to the driver.
I did not jump to any conclusions as to why it happened, I offered suggestions to a question answered as to why it typically happens. If you notice one of those suggestions was to check out the backside of the hill before climbing it.

bmfmike said:
Yeah I do, don't you?

I've also never rolled from climbing a hill I wasn't prepared to crest. Odd....

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Actually, at the dunes and the first time through, yes. The dunes change on a daily basis - we all know that. We also all know that they frequently form pretty large drop-off's on their backsides.

For me, when I go to the dunes I take a dirt bike as well. Typically my first few times through are on that just so I know where to avoid in the truck because of drop-offs

Edit: and to be honest, even when two tracking/doing any wheeling, typically before the first vehicle crests any major hill the backside is checked. Its this crazy thing called common sense

Double edit: Hope everyone/the rig involved in this incident are OK....
Agreed on all accounts.

42,948 Posts
i almost flipped over out there once when going over testhill. there was a lip and it caved and dropped the zj. i had to change my underwear. hope everyone is alright, can we know who it was yet?
I can't think of a reason to almost flip over test hill except for going WAY to fast. Its not that steep, and doesn't require speed.

Now if you go to the 3rd and 4th hill in, all the way to the right, thats a different story. Nobody usually climbs them and they all have the 5' drop offs. They are way steeper then test hill, so you need to carry a lot of speed.

Would I play on those hills in a stock rig? No. With a 5 point harness, and a cage, I don't have a problem doing it.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
srsly?

The point I was trying to get at was, over 80% of the people that go there, dont even bother to see if anything is over the hill they are climbing.
Yeah and that is why you are seeing more and more people roll....seriously how hard is this to comprehend? The people who are rolling are not TYPICALLY the people who use common sense and have been going out there for years and understand the perils of the hills.....do you get it now?

1 - 20 of 151 Posts