Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
******* Excavator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I am looking into building a roll cage for my cj3b. Kinda on the fence about a few things. First off let me say I plan on trail riding and screwing around but nothing toooo serious.

I have heard of people making their cage out of weld on pipe fittings and sch 40 steel pipe and was wondering where everyone sat on that subject compared to bent pipe? Let it be known I do not have a pipe bender so I am for this a bit unless you guys talk me out of it.

Also what size should I go with. my rig only weighs in at less then 3000lb.

And last should I use the existing roll bar or start from scratch?

Thanks

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I have heard of people making their cage out of weld on pipe fittings and sch 40 steel pipe and was wondering where everyone sat on that subject compared to bent pipe?
no No NO!!!

That is not structural stuff.

There *IS* structural rated pipe, which is the same metal standards as common HREW, and that would be fine to use, if bent properly.

And don't go to home depot, etc, and buy pipe, thats garbage.

Read the thread about pipe in the fabrication forum.

Buy a cheap pipe bender and some pipe from a steel yard, and learn how to bend, it doesn't cost much ($70 for a bender at harbor freight).

·
******* Excavator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what size pipe to use then? Also anyone have a pipe bending in the Grand Rapids or should I say north of grand rapids area?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
For a flattie, I'd use 1-1/4" sch 40 (which is 1.66" OD), but 1-1/2" (1.9" OD) is also ok.

My 3a will get the 1-1/4" most likely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts