Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
American
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an after market OR Fab cage in my Jeep. What is everyone's opinions on the best way to tie a cage to the frame? Just solid mount it to the frame? Weld? Bolt? Mount with a bushing? Hard mount? Just trying to get some ideas before I go cutting everything up. I'd like to kind of have a somewhat plan.

Thanks

·
American
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'09 JK

I have no issues cutting into it. I'm thinking some kind of bushing mount just because of how soft my body mounts are, hard mounting the cage would put a lot of stress on the tie in points. I'd tie it in from where the cage goes down the sides of my dash to the frame and also in the back from the factory cage on the wheel wells to the frame.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
If you hard mount the cage to the body, then if want to tie into frame you will need some type of bushing to give a little with body flex.

·
American
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you hard mount the cage to the body, then want to tie into frame you will some type of bushing to give a little with body flex.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking, just wanted some input before I got started.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
American
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any suggestions on how to? I was thinking of basically making a link bracket mount on the frame, then using bushing ends of old control arms and some DOM tubing to tie it into the frame

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,486 Posts
I don't have the time to search at the moment but if you search my build thread there are pics. I can look after a while.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,486 Posts
Shit, looks like I have deleted a lot of pics over the years. I'll snap a couple pics tonight.

There is a bracket on the tub that has a bushing on it. Right side of the pic.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24248&d=1209084916

This ties my cage through the frame to the top of the shock hoop. To be honest, the bushing should be below the fender at the top of the hoop. With that, after several years of this tub, when we stripped it down for the body swap there were no cracks.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24254&d=1209085033

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,486 Posts
My A, B and C hoops are tied to the frame. Between the B & C, across the top of the fender, the frame is tied to the top of the shock tower for stability. I'll get pics in a little bit. That pic is not how where to tie the cage to the frame but rather is a good pic of the bushings.

If you look at the bracket in the front of the shock hoop at the body, that is where the bottom of the factory B hoop attaches to the body. I have changed it from that pic but there is no good way to get a pic. When I tied my seat mounts into the cage, I went through the floor to the body mount right in front of the B hoop.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,486 Posts
Here is what you are looking for. A-Hoop. The upper plate matches the plate inside. The tube to the plate has a spring bushing.

Same thing on the C-hoop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts