Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this trip a breaker, or would it stack bodies?
Would it be hard to make it auto reset?

·
Yooper In Training
7,057 Posts
Would be entertaining to see in any case.

The ole bucket of coolant with a spinny bait bottle seems the be the ultimate rodent killer, and it eliminates the mess and the stink.

·
Old School
33,015 Posts
Won't trip a breaker, but won't kill instantly all the time. Usually makes them squeak and run. Better version is to have the AC on two plates side by side

·
Hang all the thieves
1,669 Posts
The bucket with water/anti freeze, and the spinner bait, seems to work for everyone but me. I've tried it on a couple of occasions, with a final tally of two mice. Baited it with sunflower seeds/birdseed and peanut butter. Both separate and in conjunction with each other. Never did figure out what I was doing wrong. I've had much better luck with 110 connibear(sp?) traps on the squirrels, and glue traps on the mice. It's not uncommon for the connibears to grab at least a squirrel a week when the little bastards decide to invade the perimeter of my barn.

·
Skymaster
2,515 Posts
I have an electric rat zapper off amazon. Runs off a wall plug or a bunch of d cell batteries. Let's out a loud beep when it kills them so you can get it and reset. If it's quiet out I can hear it inside my pool house from about 100' away. I have killed about 10 mice and 6 chipmunks between 1 in my pool house and 1 in my garage.

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
I almost bought one of these a few months ago as I have battled mice for the last seven years. Even has a counter option so you know its working if the bodies get carried off by cats or other critters...

https://www.automatictrap.com/products/a24-rat-and-mouse-trap-kit

expensive, but I think I have around $2k into resealing the house and spray foam insulation in the rim joists to help try to keep them out. I took out all the batt insulation in the basement, kicked up five live mice, over a dozen dead ones and three nests full of naked little baby mice. I haven't seen any since, hopefully they moved on to a neighbors house.

·
Old School
33,015 Posts
We had a real bad rodent problem in a TV shop in Detroit (surprise). We made an electric zapper with two metal plates and a 12" tall wall on 3 sides with a 2" wall in one side. Set the bait on electrical tape across the plates. The mice or rats would get zapped and half the time die instantly. Sometimes they would jump off the plate and run, but the walls kept them contained enough to to cross the junction again. The whole thing could be easily picked up for disposal of the carcasses. Only downside is sometimes they would piss and shit when they died, and the combo of burning rodent fur and shit/piss was pretty pungent.

Note: Do not use 220. Small mice explode, and it's nasty.

·
Yooper In Training
7,057 Posts
The bucket with water/anti freeze, and the spinner bait, seems to work for everyone but me. I've tried it on a couple of occasions, with a final tally of two mice. Baited it with sunflower seeds/birdseed and peanut butter. Both separate and in conjunction with each other. Never did figure out what I was doing wrong. I've had much better luck with 110 connibear(sp?) traps on the squirrels, and glue traps on the mice. It's not uncommon for the connibears to grab at least a squirrel a week when the little bastards decide to invade the perimeter of my barn.
Did you build an access ramp? I'm told that makes a considerable difference. It has to be an easy target.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,119 Posts
We had a real bad rodent problem in a TV shop in Detroit (surprise). We made an electric zapper with two metal plates and a 12" tall wall on 3 sides with a 2" wall in one side. Set the bait on electrical tape across the plates. The mice or rats would get zapped and half the time die instantly. Sometimes they would jump off the plate and run, but the walls kept them contained enough to to cross the junction again. The whole thing could be easily picked up for disposal of the carcasses. Only downside is sometimes they would piss and shit when they died, and the combo of burning rodent fur and shit/piss was pretty pungent.

Note: Do not use 220. Small mice explode, and it's nasty.

This made me laugh. :sonicjay:

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
Would this trip a breaker, or would it stack bodies?
Would it be hard to make it auto reset?

If you want to cook them that's one way of doing it, might take a 30 amp breaker to keep your "hot plate" on but I'm sure there's better ways.

To "zap" them, the hot and neutral would have to be separated, in a grid, close enough to make the mouse touch both at the same time.

·
Old School
33,015 Posts
If you want to cook them that's one way of doing it, might take a 30 amp breaker to keep your "hot plate" on but I'm sure there's better ways.

To "zap" them, the hot and neutral would have to be separated, in a grid, close enough to make the mouse touch both at the same time.
Neutral and ground are attached to the grid, hot (black wire) is bent up with bait on it.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GermanGurl suggest some kind of repellent. I say all rodents must die.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
GermanGurl suggest some kind of repellent. I say all rodents must die.
I have read that Irish Spring soap is a repellant. I cut it up in smaller pieces and noticed a slight difference in not as much traffic. But something is carrying the pieces off when I put them next to the outside basement door.
Mothballs is supposed to work to. Decon works best along with peanut butter and traps. I have the bucket with the spinning can and usually get one or two in it then nothing.
Every year just before winter they find a way into the basement. I have went all around the exterior and looked for any entrance point. Filled the area where AC lines, dryer vent with steal wool and caulk but they still have an access point. I'm thinking under the porch along the top plate and block wall might be where they are getting in. This spring I will crawl under there and inspect. May as well look in the crawl space as well. I hate going in those small places. Full of cob webs and dust.
Hope you fix your rodent problem. They can be so destructive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts