Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, I traveled up to Wolverine with my GF's family to go canoing because all of the liveries near where we were at were full. So, we went to the Sturgeon. This was a very fun river. It was narrow, fast, and curvy, with some slight waterfalls, lots of nice looking surroundings, and it kept you on your toes. It was a 3 1/2 hour long trip.

I kayaked it with a 10' rec boat and had no trouble. The rest of the fam, 6 canoes in total. half of them were inexperienced and were crashing into every other corner because it was fast and twisty. The other half who knew what they were doing still crashed a few times. I pretty much maneuvered in between them back and forth through out the trip. If i saw a pile up, i just back paddled and stood still until it cleared up. In the end it was a really fun trip. I'd like to do it again, but hopefully my girlfriend will have a kayak by then.

42,949 Posts
I've done that wolverine - indian river trip a bunch of times via the sturgeon. Its usually a great beer drinking trip. I have made the trip a couple times when it was actually flowing fast. Good times.

Did you just dump into burt lake? We leave our vehicles in the burt lake state park, and put in at wolverine.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
With those high speeds you should have lifejackets on. Just ask up_kockboy.

BTW, looks like a very good time. Nice dig up on that old picture.
x2 i agree, her 6 ft. tall uncle went over and couldn't touch bottom in one spot. I had one with me, they all just had boat cushions that the livery gave them w/ the canoes.

p.s. it's not an old pic, i just never set my camera. it always resets when i change the batteries so i say screw it.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done that wolverine - indian river trip a bunch of times via the sturgeon. Its usually a great beer drinking trip. I have made the trip a couple times when it was actually flowing fast. Good times.

Did you just dump into burt lake? We leave our vehicles in the burt lake state park, and put in at wolverine.
no, we went to a livery in wolverine that took us up river and picked us up downriver, the place they took us from was a park that was the 1/2 way point which was a nice spot to stop for bathroom/snacks.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
With those high speeds you should have lifejackets on. Just ask up_kockboy.

BTW, looks like a very good time. Nice dig up on that old picture.
:sonicjay: :tonka: :sonicjay:

TartRacer you know better then that, they don't have kill switches on Canoes, so lifejackets would be pointless :tonka:

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts