Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting 4.88's in my Jk and ARB air or OX lockers in at the same time, thinking I would save money I was quoted 12hrs on the ring and pinion and and 4 for the lockers. Then someone else told me if I'm getting them done at the same time the lockers can simply be put in, and I shouldn't be charged for labor on the install of the Lockers, is that true?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
yes and no.
the lockes bolt to the ring gear, but there selectable, so there are airlines and pump/reg. for the arb, and cable/mount/leaver for the ox, that will ad time.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes and no.
the lockes bolt to the ring gear, but there selectable, so there are airlines and pump/reg. for the arb, and cable/mount/leaver for the ox, that will ad time.
How much time, he's saying 4hrs. and how long would it take to install lockers if I didn't do it at the same time as the rings and pinions?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
5,662 Posts
only way your saving money by getting a locker installed at the same time of a ring and pinion is because the locker takes place of the carrier. Ring gears bolts to the carrier, so instead it being that it would bolt to the locker.

For time i guess it all depends on someones skill and how fast they work. I would think ARB would take longer since you need to mount a pump, wire it, than run a air line to the dif. Ox would probably take a little less since its just a cable and no wiring for power.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Plato2k5;643781 For time i guess it all depends on someones skill and how fast they work. I would think ARB would take longer since you need to mount a pump said:
yup.
shop around and see what other shops would charge

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm thinking about putting 4.88's in my Jk and ARB air or OX lockers in at the same time, thinking I would save money I was quoted 12hrs on the ring and pinion and and 4 for the lockers. Then someone else told me if I'm getting them done at the same time the lockers can simply be put in, and I shouldn't be charged for labor on the install of the Lockers, is that true?

12hours at what hourly rate??? they should be able to give you dollar amount per axle.

and yes, it will be much cheaper to have the locker installed at the time of the gears. otherwise you will actually pay 2x to have the gears setup. once now, and then AGAIN when you have the locker put in.

as far as how many hours they're charging you "usually" has nothing to do with their skill level but has to do with book time. let's say the factory book time on replacing a carrier is 2hours, then the shop is probably adding 2hours for the plumbing.

if you want, i can get you the factory book times either tomorrow or monday on the gear setup and the carrier setup. as far as the locker, it's obviously going to be more than a straight carrier setup. and how much more is up to every individual shop.

i would charge $220 or 4hours for a automatic locker and around $330-440
6-8hours for a selectable locker (arb,ox,ected) due to the plumbing/electrical.

but obviously every shop has different hourly rates and also charges different amount of hours for aftermarket installs.

·
8,046 Posts
12hours at what hourly rate??? they should be able to give you dollar amount per axle.

and yes, it will be much cheaper to have the locker installed at the time of the gears. otherwise you will actually pay 2x to have the gears setup. once now, and then AGAIN when you have the locker put in.

as far as how many hours they're charging you "usually" has nothing to do with their skill level but has to do with book time. let's say the factory book time on replacing a carrier is 2hours, then the shop is probably adding 2hours for the plumbing.

if you want, i can get you the factory book times either tomorrow or monday on the gear setup and the carrier setup. as far as the locker, it's obviously going to be more than a straight carrier setup. and how much more is up to every individual shop.

i would charge $220 or 4hours for a automatic locker and around $330-440
6-8hours for a selectable locker (arb,ox,ected) due to the plumbing/electrical.

but obviously every shop has different hourly rates and also charges different amount of hours for aftermarket installs.
I agree as long as you're going to an accual shop the hours should not change for the r & p install, but is there a book time for lockers? Another option is to go the diy route. Thats what I did since I figured that I better be able to fix my own junk and it will save more money with every one I do. However, you better have another ride since it's not something that you wanna hurry on and mess up.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The quote was $75 per hour, also would I save at all to have the lift done at the same time?

I can get the parts myself, I'd be doing gears, lockers, and a 4-4.5 in lift I was thinking if doing them all at the same time would be the best way to save on labor I'd consider that but otherwise I'd just do the lockers and ring/pinion? What do ya think?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I agree as long as you're going to an accual shop the hours should not change for the r & p install, but is there a book time for lockers? Another option is to go the diy route. Thats what I did since I figured that I better be able to fix my own junk and it will save more money with every one I do. However, you better have another ride since it's not something that you wanna hurry on and mess up.
X2

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't do it myself because I don't want to mess up, I would like to watch or help so I can start to learn this stuff. Right now I can add windshield wiper fluid and oil if I aim just right, so things are moving along! Oh and I've got airing down, down pat! So I'm sure I could probably do the ring and pinion and lockers myself but I can't find my leatherman or duct tape.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
5,662 Posts
jesus that is alot of money for R & P and locker install! I paied like $150 an axle.

There are a few guys on here that kno how to do it. I would post a meet and greet and see if anyone is willing to help you for a cheaper price or for just pizza and beer. Same goes with the lift

Or get the locker and stuff installed than plum the wire, or cable yourself.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
the lift won't change the price of the gear/locker setup. so you can do that whenever. but get the gears and lockers done at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts