Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intended on reverse searing 3 lbs of 3" thick filet mignon steaks tonight, but my gut advised against it.
I set them on the counter and dry rubbed them with coarse salt, pepper, garlic powder, and pepper for 30 min.
I then grilled them in a 500° bbq for 4 min each side.
I plated them and immediately wrapped the plate in foil and set them on the counter for 20min while I grill 2 skewers of prawns drenched in a home made New Orleans bbq sauce.
My steaks tasted and cut liked butter. No exaggeration.
Fuck reverse searing of steaks. Takes way too long! It's total bullshit.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,044 Posts
I intended on reverse searing 3 lbs of 3" thick filet mignon steaks tonight, but my gut advised against it.
I set them on the counter and dry rubbed them with coarse salt, pepper, garlic powder, and pepper for 30 min.
I plated them and immediately wrapped the plate in foil and set them on the counter for 20min while I grill 2 skewers of prawns drenched in a home made New Orleans bbq sauce.
R u drunk? If is wanted something that tasted and cut like butter I would grab a stick of butter from the fridge, no cooking required.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
I had leftovers.

Thanks.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I would bet there was a decent grey band around the out 1/4"-3/8" of that steak. Its pretty easy to get filet to be tender. Its not a flavorful cut, though.

Its a question of do you know the difference. If that steak was cooked sous vide for 3 hours at 125F, and then seared 30 second sa side, you'd see a difference, no grey band.

You should see how good a plain chicken breast can be cooked 4 hours at about 140F. There's no comparison.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I tried this last weekend. I ended up slightly over cooking them. I didn't notice a difference between that way and the normal way. I think two steaks have to be bought and one made each way for true comparison.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts