Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired a complete pole building that I am dismantling and moving. I would like to use as much from the site as I can when I reassmble the building on my property. I was wondering if anybody has ever heard of people cutting out concrete slabs and reusing them? I would be cutting the pieces down to about 6000 pound slabs for ease of transport and movement. I'm just wondering how stable the repositioned slabs would with good sand prep.

Let me know your thoughts. Since I just took a big pay cut and got my hours reduced I'm trying to be as cheap as I can.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
I just aquired a complete pole building that I am dismantling and moving. I would like to use as much from the site as I can when I reassmble the building on my property. I was wondering if anybody has ever heard of people cutting out concrete slabs and reusing them? I would be cutting the pieces down to about 6000 pound slabs for ease of transport and movement. I'm just wondering how stable the repositioned slabs would with good sand prep.

Let me know your thoughts. Since I just took a big pay cut and got my hours reduced I'm trying to be as cheap as I can.
:eek: 6000 lbs!

I've used 'reclaimed' concrete for walkways, but you really need to tamp the sand down good so they don't heave. Bigger problem would be the ratwall.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
how well was the ground prepped before the original lay? are these pre-fab pieces? if the bottom sides of the slabs are not level, very unlikely you will get them level enough to reuse

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
pretty difficult to do we have tried doing it with side walks and small driveway sections when we have tore peoples yards up never works out very well

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
pretty difficult to do we have tried doing it with side walks and small driveway sections when we have tore peoples yards up never works out very well
yea, my thoughts exactly... we rebuilt a patio with 10x10 pavers that we reused, but those were all pre-fab and perfectly level top and bottom, so it was all about leveling the substrate underneath

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek: 6000 lbs!

I've used 'reclaimed' concrete for walkways, but you really need to tamp the sand down good so they don't heave. Bigger problem would be the ratwall.
Ratwall would be new. I was thinking of using the slabs for the floor.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
You would probably be better off using them for the approach and parking slabs , I have tried also a few times to save money and you just can't duplicate the grade they are sitting now!. You will end up with a floor that will always be cracking and joints sticking up.
If you built your building 4" extra high you could lay these slabs now and pour over in the future, but you know how that goes, once your stuff is inside it ain't ever getting moved out!.

·
Redline8300
243 Posts
Why not lay the slabs upside down very level and then just pour a skim coat of slurry over the top. Sure the floor would crack and the slurry would break apart over time, it would last until you can afford a new floor.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Why not lay the slabs upside down very level and then just pour a skim coat of slurry over the top. Sure the floor would crack and the slurry would break apart over time, it would last until you can afford a new floor.
had that thought too, but it's the cost of gettin someone out there that is $$ unless you pour/level your own top layer. It could be done i bet, but good idea, am unsure. theres a reason that cement is laid 4+ inches thick, likes to crack

G

·
6000 lb's how ya gunna move em? If they are longer than thick I could bring out My CAT loader & long forks. $50 bucks an hour + mobile.
Just lay them on the out side in muddy sand & let em settle. Do not use them inside unless they are for a base. I will pour & finish your floor for $2.20 all american no Cans.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
6000 lb's how ya gunna move em? If they are longer than thick I could bring out My CAT loader & long forks. $50 bucks an hour + mobile.
Just lay them on the out side in muddy sand & let em settle. Do not use them inside unless they are for a base. I will pour & finish your floor for $2.20 all american no Cans.
Thanks for the offer but I have a backhoe and a crane that I can use to move this stuff.

I've come to the conclusion that I can not reuse the slabs cost effectively. I may use some of it outside the building or as a fill. I think I am going to cut the concrete into small enough chunks that I can peel it up with my backhoe.
I'm looking into buying a 10 yard dump truck to haul this stuff to my farm property.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
1,437 Posts
could you possibly get them as level as possible and then get a mud jacking company to get it level for you? I have never heard of them doing anything more than sidewalks but it may be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I have a backhoe and a crane that I can use to move this stuff.

I've come to the conclusion that I can not reuse the slabs cost effectively. I may use some of it outside the building or as a fill. I think I am going to cut the concrete into small enough chunks that I can peel it up with my backhoe.
I'm looking into buying a 10 yard dump truck to haul this stuff to my farm property.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Have you ever done something like this before? The offer above might actually be worth looking into. You are going to have to rent a diamond blade concrete saw, and it's going to take you a lot of time to cut all of the way through 4" throughout the building in sections that a backhoe can handle. A full sized loader with forks is definitely the easiest way to get the old stuff out. You can pick up 10x10 pieces with one of those babies, and won't have to make as many cuts with the saw.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you ever done something like this before? The offer above might actually be worth looking into. You are going to have to rent a diamond blade concrete saw, and it's going to take you a lot of time to cut all of the way through 4" throughout the building in sections that a backhoe can handle. A full sized loader with forks is definitely the easiest way to get the old stuff out. You can pick up 10x10 pieces with one of those babies, and won't have to make as many cuts with the saw.
I work for an equipment company and have access to larger equipment if I need it.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is very fair. I will keep you in mind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts