Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Kim,I believe those are CUTLASS hubs.Early aftermarket hubs.I still have a bunch of parts for these.I have a rebuilt 30-plus years ago,'54 Kaiser super-sonic motor,same as the Willys,but higher compression.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Kim,I believe those are CUTLASS hubs.Early aftermarket hubs.I still have a bunch of parts for these.I have a rebuilt 30-plus years ago,'54 Kaiser super-sonic motor,same as the Willys,but higher compression.
im going to swap out the axles next month, ford 9" and a D44 from a 77 F150.
I have a stuck valve in cly #4. Ive managed to semi-free it up. I threw a 12 volt battery in to crank the motor over faster with a mix of diesel and mystery oil. Cly #4 im dumping thinner into so as to eat up the gasoline varnish out of the valve guide.
If its a lost cause on the L226 motor, I just picked up a 2000 Cherokee with 115,000. on the whole drive train and just might swap everything over to the Willys Wagon. The Cherokee is getting 18-20 mpg hwy. As of today im still on the fence. Happen to have the Overdrive with the S-S?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
well heres what the willys looked like the past few weeks. Unstuck the intake valve and its all back together and running great for the first time since getting the wagon. Ill have to deal with the wiring now. I'd like to make it a 12 volt system rather than stick with 6 volts, reasons being I'd like to hook up a radio, cb and later a winch. Im
Old wiring is toast. The headlights and taillights don't work. My biggest fear is that one of the hot wires well short out and cause a fire under the dash or under the hood. Drove it a few miles the other day, "WooHoo"!! and cant wait to take it to the Mounds for a day. Tow strap equipped!

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
there cant be much wiring on that thing. Couldn't you just rewire it all yourself? Buy new bulbs alternator, starter, coil and other stuff. Wouldn't be cheap but shouldn't be real difficult.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
The only thing that stumps me is doing wiring on the Delco alt. Some guys use a dash-light bulb when wiring to the ignition and some don't. The last time I went through this I smoked a alt.....I still don't know how I messed up.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Well I pulled the the heavy duty generator and fab'd up a bracket to hold the alternator. I started rewiring too. So far the alternator works but I have to up the rpms to get it to charge past 12 volts on the meter instead of 14-plus volts. Thoughts anyone?
I did use a light bulb between the alt and the ignition to excite the darn thing. Maybe a bigger bulb? or use another alt?, I have three of them kicking around.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Anyone have a part number for me on a high output alt? The ones I have only put out 40 amps instead of 90 to 100 Plus amps. Ill be running a winch and extra lights on the wagon. Any alt I have is when dinosaurs were still roaming. I have a dinosaur but wont post any pics.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
If you have to rev it in order to get it to put out charging voltage, you need to "exite" the windings.
I dont have the specifics in my head but there are plenty of write up on this .
Look up alternator swaps over at IFSJA.org

Or here: http://oljeep.com/AltTheory17/AlternatorTheoryVersion17R1.htm
That's what the light bulb is for, I wired that between the alt and ignition switch. The bulb I used would be the same size as the ones to light up the dash on a jeep cj. I might try a different size/volted light.
Ive been looking thru youtube vid's and diagrams of what others have done.
im doing the delco 3 wire setup rather than a 1 wire.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Well, more work has been done on the wagon. I had put a used pair of XJ springs on the rear but they sagged a bit to much so I bought a pair of Ranchos w/1" of lift. It helps clear the 31" tires. I'll post pics on a nicer day. The Willys still leans to the drivers side but that's due to worn out spring packs on the front. I put all new brake pads and brake cylinders on the wagon too. I'm currently looking for either stock front seats or a bench seat from a S-10 pickup. Finding anything old that fits is fine by me.
I'm still trying to keep the build a bit rustic. It runs and drives but I'm still Leary of making it a daily driver for the time being .

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've watched a few of their videos. They really cut up the dog house to get that LS1 motor in there.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
On and off I've been working on the wagon. Still have the original motor in it, a flat head six. During the summer it kills dozens to thousands of mosquitoes/cough, cough!. I had picked up a Chevy D44 for the front but still havent gotten around to getting it narrowed and changing out the knuckles to Ford outters. At that time ill swap in a Detroit locker too.
Ive also done some sheet metal floor repair on the front passenger floor. The driver side well be next. Any leads on a warn or saturn overdrive would be appreciated, thx.
One last thing, very humble on that JP Magazine posted up my Willys Wagon, Pickup and 2a in Jeepshots about 6 months ago. Felt like getting my picture on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi Jim. I had never had any pics in a magazine before ........ got me all giddy getting a E-email from Tracy Clarke / JP Magazine, telling me it was going to be in the next issue under Jeepshots.
Lol, I bought a few magazines off the shelf.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts