Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked this up Saturday 11/3/12 A 1954 WillysWagon. Its been in Michigan for about 10 years. Came from Arizona. Sad story behind it. An older/than me, gent traded his 1930's ford panel for it and planed on restoring it once he retired. He retired last year, 3 months retired had a heart attack and passed away. The sons willys till yesterday figured he'd never start or finish restoring it or turning it into a wheeler.
For now ill get it running and "mouse free" Already found one. The mouse reconditioned all the seats.
This willys is complete. I noticed it has military locking hubs and has a locking dif in the rear as well. The generator looks original but ive never seen one like this in a willys before. oem? military? no idea.

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
Glad to see it get some love. I'm sure the older fella would be glad to see it get saved.

Sadly too many of these have gone away.

·
Cuck Fancer
1,307 Posts
I noticed it has military locking hubs and has a locking dif in the rear as well.
Those are Dial(or dual can't remember)-O-Matics. I had a set on my flattie when I bought it. I did some checking and I think that they were an aftermarket hub from the fifties.

And sweet project! Love the old iron.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
i agree with everyone else, awesome
i really like the original willys floor mat:thumb:

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are Dial(or dual can't remember)-O-Matics. I had a set on my flattie when I bought it. I did some checking and I think that they were an aftermarket hub from the fifties.

And sweet project! Love the old iron.
I stand corrected, i never googled it/should have.
Ive never seen a generator like that either. Motor turns over by hand. Im going to pull the starter and get it bench tested and new brushes. I might upgrade to a 12 volt system so i can add a winch to the front later on.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
I'd be reluctant to wheel it. It's waaaay too unabused (except for the rodentia) and straight to mess up with rocks/trees/etc...

I'd either restore it for a toy or take the rat rod path.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'd be reluctant to wheel it. It's waaaay too unabused (except for the rodentia) and straight to mess up with rocks/trees/etc...

I'd either restore it for a toy or take the rat rod path.
I dont know just yet as far as getting agressive with it on any trails to soon, shoot im lucky these days to wheel twice a year:sonicjay: I armchair wheel all the time now. My 55 willys hasnt seen a trail yet. One of these days.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
I saw a hot-rodded one in TN - apparently a late 70s/early 80s Malibu wagon frame fits perfectly, track, wheelbase, and all so it's an easy way to get a 2WD version with modern disc brakes, trans, etc...

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its time to wake this wagon up. The last time I had it running it was running on 5 out of 6 cylinders, sticky valve? so im draining the oil and filling the cylinders with lacquer thinner to break down the goo or carbon deposits that tends to stick to the valves and guides. After a week dump that out and fill the block with a mix of diesel and mystery oil. We'll see if I end up with running on all 6 cyl's again by the time of the jeep blessing. Plus im rewiring front to back 12 volt upgrade. We'll see.
Im looking for a overdrive unit too if anyone has any leads on one without costing funny money.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts