Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on my 13 day U.P. vacation I kinda lost my clutch. Upon inspection I noticed that my external slave cylinder was oozing fluid down the firewall inside the cab (1994 Wrangler...external slave). Luckily I carry a bottle of brake fluid. Over the course of about 7 days I used less than a cup. And when the clutch got soft I could get it to go again by pumping it. At least to get me thru my vacation. Now I am home again and will replace it. Is it a dealer only part or can I get one from Murray's? Looks like it is a pretty easy job...not much information from the "search" function about replacing it tho. Also...I didn't notice if the line to the tranny disconnected from the bottom (but suspect it might)?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
you can goto any auto parts store and purchase the slave. As far as replacing it... its an easy thing. Just make sure you bench bleed it befor installing it...otherwise you could trap air in there and never bleed it out while its installed. Its just like a master brake cylinder.

Also yeah check the lines to make sure there not leaking.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
i just did a search on autozone.com but didn't really say anything in their online repair guids. Just go to your local parts store and dig through a haynes or chiltons manual.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Mike if you want I can scan the pages tomorrow and send them to you. If I remember it was not to hard to do.

That is a 4.0 right?

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a Haynes manual. It's a 2.5L. Looked like 2 bolts, the pedal pin, and the tube coming out of the bottom. A whole lot easier than an internal slave.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I've got a Haynes manual. It's a 2.5L. Looked like 2 bolts, the pedal pin, and the tube coming out of the bottom. A whole lot easier than an internal slave.
yes I have the shop manual so I can still do it if you want? Just PM me I am of to bed I am not at work.:sonicjay:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If its bolted to the firewall then that is the master cylinder, not the slave cylinder. Pretty easy to replace. I usually take the whole linkage out (master/line/slave), its easier to bleed it and only takes an extra minute or two to pull it out.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are absolutely correct Ebs. It is the clutch master cylinder. Found that out when I went to Murray's to pick one up today ($79.95). I'll probably replace it this weekend. Looks pretty easy...and I'll be careful to bleed it well. Thanks for the offer of the scanned pages, mudd_jumper, but I don't think I'll need them. Although I like my Haynes manual I really need to upgrade to the FSM (sounds like a search thru eBay is in order).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I took my entire system off when I replaced the master clutch cylinder (master, lines, slave). One thing to pay attention to is the phillips head screw on the slave cylinder...I've read that this is not a way to bleed the system. I filled the master cylinder with fluid, pumped it a few times until the fluid came out. Then I pushed the slave cylinder in so fluid came out and connected the line back on the master cylinder. I would cycle the master cylinder and add fluid as needed.

I'm not sure this is the correct way, but I have had no trouble since the installation (about December of last year).

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Thanks for the offer of the scanned pages, mudd_jumper, but I don't think I'll need them. Although I like my Haynes manual I really need to upgrade to the FSM (sounds like a search thru eBay is in order).

I looked for mine on E-bay and yahoo could not find it when I was looking. I ended up buying it from Chrysler publications direct . It was 80.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
its a joke to replace. Pull the old one and it will be pretty clear what you need to do for reinstallation. then follow the bleed instructions posted above.

I know its easy cuz I did mine right after getting my jeep and I was retarded with a wrench then

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was as easy as I had suspected...except for the getting off the top nut. Darn wiring harness was in the way and I could only use an open end wrench and go one flat at a time. I used my Mighty-Vac to bleed it. Now my clutch is reliable, once again, and doesn't ooze brake fluid into the cab. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts