Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the carrier and all that shit has to come out? Stupid yoke has about a 1/4 inch of slop to it..

So does anyone local know how to R&I gears real good (not talking about a shop)?

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
95% of the time you don't have to change the setup when installing new bearings, but yes everything has to come out. If you pay close attention to where everything came out and you put it back together the exact same way you will be fine.

Things that can suck are pulling the inner bearing off the pinion without a press and bearing puller, and crushing the crush sleeve can also be PITA.

·
8,046 Posts
I did mine and did just what Monkey said, wasn't bad at all. I just put everything back like it was before. Yours is a tj?

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
I know the basics of doing it but didn't want to mess with the gear lash so I took my rig to Jeeperz-Creepers to have it done. Respectable price and well worth the peace of mind that its done right. I would have bought the setup equipment and done it myself if the setup stuff wasn't so expensive. And yes, you gotta remove the carrier because the pinion comes out thru the differential cover side. If you reuse the crush sleeve you have to measure the running torque (and it doesn't hurt to count threads on the pinion nut before removal) and be sure to reset it to that exact amount (should be around 25 inch-pounds). So many little things to get right that I didn't want to mess with it.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
95% of the time you don't have to change the setup when installing new bearings, but yes everything has to come out. If you pay close attention to where everything came out and you put it back together the exact same way you will be fine.

Things that can suck are pulling the inner bearing off the pinion without a press and bearing puller, and crushing the crush sleeve can also be PITA.
X2 - if you can change plugs, you can do this!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My concern though, is that if the R&P is beat up now and needs new gears, then I'm stuck (not that my TJ is a stranger to tow trucks...)

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
In that case ... the only places I know are north and west of Clarkston. Closest would be over an hour from you. :(

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
My concern though, is that if the R&P is beat up now and needs new gears, then I'm stuck (not that my TJ is a stranger to tow trucks...)
Well if that's the case. Run the outer stub shafts and drive it to the place it'll need to done at. I would give Kevin at Jeepers Creepers a call Jay.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
dont you have some warranty left? That's how I got mine done. rebuilt the whole diff actually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts