Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just bought a project Harley where the previous owner spray bombed the engine. He is looking to take it back to original. Anyone have any ideas on how to gently remove the paint or is he SOL? (Sorry if this belongs in tech)

pic of engine for reference.

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
get paint remover spray can. Spay on let sit wipe/blow/or was off. Should work. Then just buy the stock "paint

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeesh. Have fun with that. Is sand blasting out of the question? Sanding's out of the question no doubt. Might try like fatboy said, but I'd hate to see 20 cans stacked up of that stuff.

·
YJ now
1,408 Posts
use paint stripper, or maybe brake clean, and then hot powerwash it off. The stipper might eat away the gaskets, but then dont harleys leak oil anyway:sonicjay:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have done this before ind regretted it is the motor gonna be rebuilt??

i would recoment media blasting or check with the local bike shop and ask them they might have a better idea of what would work the best
ust looked at the pics again and you could sandblast it since it is all dull finish metal that is painted

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
I used good hardcore carb cleaner on my last sandrail motor.

Someone during the late eighties went flourescent krylon wild and bad boy club sticker crazy. I shot the whole engine with (I think) hapco carb cleaner and the gay just peeled off.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
aircraft stripper most parts stores should have it
X2...used this stuff lots of times, works great...try it out on a small area first if you think it may harm the aluminum (shouldnt though)....after you get the paint off, rinse it off with water to get rid of any left over solvent...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts