Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hit the Trail
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel kinda silly asking a question about such a mundane part but can someone fill me in on how to remove (with the intent of remounting) fender flares on a 2000 TJ?
Front 2 are easy enough because you can reach front and back sides of the screws. Could be easier to tighten a few but over all not too bad. The rear two are a different story. There is no way to reach the back part (nut) of the screw assembly. Is there simply no back to it at all and the screw simply screws into the body and not a nut behind it? I have been hesitant to simply blaze ahead for fear of losing a nut somewhere and not being able to retrieve it.
All help is appreciated.

·
hooked
97 Posts
on my 98 I had to remove the plastic inner wheel well. It was held by plastic zip fasteners. The flare screws threaded into square plastic blocks that I held with vise grips to remove the screws.

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
X2- you need to pull out the inner fender cover. It's pretty easy to get to, it will have christmas tree clips on the bottom edges, maybe 6 of them?

·
I <3 2get high.. centered
1,467 Posts
once you get it off.. look around Jeep tech for another thread about mounting hardware.. someone else a week or two back asked a similar question and wanted to know if there was a better way to re-mount the flare w/o using the crappy plastic blocks. there were a couple of great suggestions in the thread.

also.. on my 05 I think there were only 2 "christmas tree" clips. Even after doing the job once, I didn't know what redmud meant at first. Basically, when you look up into the flair (on mine) there are two holes in the flair where a plastic clip pops through (it comes from behind the fender metal and the flair). This clip looks like an xmas tree. You need to squeeze the tree w/ a pair of pliers and push it back through the fender. Once you get the two clips pushed back through, the plastic inner fender should be mobile enough (barely) to get your hand in there to hold the plastic POS blocks your flair bolts are bolted to.

once you get it apart, find that thread I mentioned above.. don't put it back together the same way..

·
Hit the Trail
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So they are not comin off as easily as I had hoped. I got the wheel well cover off no problem but a few of the screws don't have backs but instead screw into the body. It looks like there is supposed to be a little metal piece welded to the back of the panel but a few of mine just turn and turn. There is no way to grip the back, it just turns relentlessly. Any one else have this problem?

·
hooked
97 Posts
those are aluminum riv-nuts- they expand in a hole in the body - I had some that spun too. If you can get to the back side hold the riv-nut with needle nose vise grips. I had one at the front of the rear flare that there was no access to. I ended up grabbling the screw head with vise grips ang wiggling it out, I didnt damage the fender ,but I might have been lucky be careful. My flares came with spare riv-nuts but no tool to install them. I used a long bolt & nut with the same thead as the mounting bolts to expanded them in the body

1 - 7 of 7 Posts