Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here's the problem statement: How do I get a vehicle with no rear axle up onto a trailer?

Long story: My sister got in an accident in her jeep (JKU) last year sometime where an oncoming car hit her in the left rear wheel. The impact ripped the rear axle out from underneath the jeep but miraculously did little body damage at all. Insurance totaled the vehicle out and my brother in law bought it back and pocketed a few grand. It's currently been sitting in his garage for about a year now and he has finally realized that he needs some help to get the thing back on the road.

This is apparently where I come in. I have to get the jeep back to my barn somehow but as the jeep currently has no rear axle under it (it's sitting next to it) I am somewhat at a loss as to how to get this thing on my trailer. First things first, let me describe the trailer.

The trailer is a low deck, 24' gooseneck with about a 2 1/2' dovetail. The deck height is relatively low at about 23" and then about 16"-18" at the bottom of the dovetail. I have ramps for the trailer but they're general equipment ramps and not very smooth, easy enough to get the front wheels on but no way in hell I could roll wheel dollies up them. On the front of the trailer I have a 9.5ti Warn that will do most of the pulling.

Current best idae I have come up with is to use an engine hoist to lift the back of the jeep into the air and then bump the winch very slowly forward ensuring that the engine hoist doesn't get side loaded or turned. Theoretically if everything stays straight this would allow me to get the rear of the jeep up past the dovetail and then I can set it on wheel dollies to move it farther forward.

Also suggested was the use of pvc tubes as rollers to allow the back of the jeep to roll on to the trailer, I'm not against the idea but it'd require buying the pvc pipe and then just having it sitting around. I have also tossed around the idea of just throwing down sheets of plywood and letting the winch go at it and dragging the thing up...

Open to questions and other ideas. Trying to make this thing the least dangerous/redneck as possible while still getting the job done.

Edit: pictures of trailer.... View attachment 265404 View attachment 265406 View attachment 265408

Edit two: pictures of how the jeep sits.... View attachment 265410 View attachment 265412 View attachment 265414

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Coming from the king of REDNECK I would

Grab a bent trailer axle from out back use some muffler clamps and maybe a couple C-clamps to temp an axle under it and drive it home in front wheel drive. :thumb::woot:

RBB

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coming from the king of REDNECK I would

Grab a bent trailer axle from out back use some muffler clamps and maybe a couple C-clamps to temp an axle under it and drive it home in front wheel drive. :thumb::woot:

RBB
That's way classier than I was expecting

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
That's way classier than I was expecting

I have a slightly bent 3500 Lb trailer axle I just took off my car hauler it is 95" wide so the tires would set outside your tub :thumb:

if you want to borrow it for a few weeks come and get it. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Current best idae I have come up with is to use an engine hoist to lift the back of the jeep into the air and then bump the winch very slowly forward ensuring that the engine hoist doesn't get side loaded or turned. Theoretically if everything stays straight this would allow me to get the rear of the jeep up past the dovetail and then I can set it on wheel dollies to move it farther forward.
Sounds like a solid plan to me as long as the engine hoist is strong enough to lift the Jeep. Possible to back the trailer under the Jeep once its in the air? Seems safer to move the trailer under the Jeep than move the Jeep to the trailer...assuming I'm reading your description right.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a solid plan to me as long as the engine hoist is strong enough to lift the Jeep. Possible to back the trailer under the Jeep once its in the air? Seems safer to move the trailer under the Jeep than move the Jeep to the trailer...assuming I'm reading your description right.
The engine hoist would just be too lost the back. My intentions were to leave the front wheels on the ground and just pull them up the ramp with the winch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When Ive pulled the rear end out of scrap trucks. I lift the back up high enough to get the trailer under it with a floor jack on the trailer under the hitch usually. Then start winching it up the floor jack will roll on the trailer then when its up far enough put blocks under the jeep and pull out the floor jack. Its a little sketchy but it seems to work. If im understanding what your asking.

·
Yooper In Training
7,049 Posts
I was going to suggest basically what RBB said. I have a 14 bolt sitting in my garage if you have any 8 lug rollers around. Some creative wood and ratchet strap use could hole it in there well enough to get the turd on and off the trailer.

Or lift up the back of the JK, winch/strap it to the front of your TJ, and assist it up that way. Repeat the same thing for unload.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far the engine hoist seems like the easiest idea, I do have a couple of 4x4s that I'll be taking with just on the off chance I need to use them as skis for the rear

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You missed the redneck part, that's damn near civilized.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going with the engine hoist and using 4x4s as skis as back up. Will take pictures of the hilarity for y'all

·
Project Antitube
878 Posts
I usually cheat and use two 2x12s per side with sand in-between. Slides right up. I've even driven FWD cars up on my trailer that way without spinning a tire.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I usually cheat and use two 2x12s per side with sand in-between. Slides right up. I've even driven FWD cars up on my trailer that way without spinning a tire.
Didn't think about the sand, but that would've helped

1 - 19 of 19 Posts