Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i did rear leaves to stretch my wheelbase. i need to add one more leaf..my question is i have yj springs wich are very soft. i have access to more yj springs. should i cut another leave and add a main or i also have f150 springs, should i cut and use one of those...bryce opinions on this? blackjacbender what you have?

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,620 Posts
I was told to add a long yj spring to the pack, after cutting the rounds off from the ends. I had a thread that I started recently that was pretty informative about this.

I may be looking for more yj springs to go soa this winter.

5,476 Posts
im stiffening up my pack this weekend. going to try k20 or YJ leaf packs.

I currently have a XJ leaf pack, it was reversed arc when the vehicle wieght was on it. gonna try and stiffen it up so it doesnt reverse arc. only problem is i like the hieght it sits at now. so straighting/stiffening up my rear pack is going to raise my rear to much unless I cut into my frame to french my mount which i wont do.

any pictures of your shock setup in the rear?

how did you know my shit was leafed?

·
5,820 Posts
im not sure about what springs you want exactly but I can tell you that by adding a full length leaf you will increase the rate all over, if you add shorter leaves you will still have a plush cushy ride but as it compresses it will stiffen up. with leaf springs an anti wrap bar is a MUST, If you dont have one put one in.

the only way to know what is going to work for you is to do the experimenting yourself, everyone likes their trucks to feel differently.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will have my antirap done this week. i have stock yj leaves ,they are arched back just a hair with it on it's own weight. i could use about a inch or 2 higher in the rear. so i am going to try cutting a leave down and adding it but i dont know what one yet. i mounted my shocks in front of the axle and on a little angle. i dont have any gas tank or any other brackets on my frame all cut off..mounting the shocks was a easy task. i will post some pictures on my setup.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
im not sure about what springs you want exactly but I can tell you that by adding a full length leaf you will increase the rate all over, if you add shorter leaves you will still have a plush cushy ride but as it compresses it will stiffen up. with leaf springs an anti wrap bar is a MUST, If you dont have one put one in.

the only way to know what is going to work for you is to do the experimenting yourself, everyone likes their trucks to feel differently.

x2

I can say from experience, stock YJ packs will sag once they are used hard, and wrap like a MOFO (well, I was running a V8, but still....)

Make sure your anti-wrap bar geometry is good. I've see a LOT of them ripped off the axle tube or frame.

Any pics of your anti-wrap bar?

Also, make sure you have correct bumpstops, preventing the leaves from going too negative will save them from fading..

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
x2

I can say from experience, stock YJ packs will sag once they are used hard, and wrap like a MOFO (well, I was running a V8, but still....)

Make sure your anti-wrap bar geometry is good. I've see a LOT of them ripped off the axle tube or frame.

Any pics of your anti-wrap bar?

Also, make sure you have correct bumpstops, preventing the leaves from going too negative will save them from fading..
yea i have not mounted my stops on the rear yet. will when i get to where i want it.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
here is your shock pict..

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
When I purchased my XJ, someone had put an ADD-A-LEAF directly under the main leaf, which caused the Main leaf to bend, directly after the end of the ADD-A-Leaf. So what I'm saying is that the Main leaf on an XJ pack is going to be your weak point.
I actually took another main leaf from an XJ Pack, and cut the Eyes off, but kept it the full length, then I doubled it up with the original Main leaf.

Seems to work pretty good, but I'm guessing you wheel a little harder then I do.:sonicjay:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts