Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions on how to get the rear drum off my exploder, I tried to heat around the axle, 3lb hammer and actually chipped off a chunk of the cast on the outer edge on the back side....
fresh out of ideas at this point

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good thought but just want to check the brakes not be forced to change them over or atleast buy a new kit for install

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
LOL make sure you don't have the e-brake on. LOL

screw backing off the adjusters. to much work. get a bigger hammer. works every time. i usually do 90% of the drums with a 3-5# hammer. but on occasion i get a big city truck with 1-ton drums that have never been off, and then i usually get my big concrete busting sledge hammer. just be carefull not to damage the backing plate.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
Does the drum move at all when you try to pull it off?

If it does, then the brakes are holding it on. You'll have to back off the adjuster.

If it doesn't, then spray around the hub and studs with penetrant and beat the drum between the studs with the hammer. It will eventually come loose.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
i recommend putting the lug nuts on by hand so they protect the end of the studs before hitting the front face of the drum. that way if you miss, you don't mess up all the threads on the studs. that little tip has saved me many of times from having to replace the studs.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
i recommend putting the lug nuts on by hand so they protect the end of the studs before hitting the front face of the drum. that way if you miss, you don't mess up all the threads on the studs. that little tip has saved me many of times from having to replace the studs.
That's a good tip! (if you have bad aim:tonka: )

Seriously, it's not a bad idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.