Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in the interest of helping a friend, in March I sold him a 1993 S-10. I sold it to him for $500.00, and told him he could make payments on it. I didn't think he would take as long as he did, it was supposed to be a 2 month thing. For that, to help him out, I kept insurance on it ($50.00 per month) and kept it titled in my name. But as time dragged along, and he was down-and-out on his luck, he kep putting off payments to me. Finally, July 15 I told him to give me the truck back as he only paid me $150.00. He said he would pay me off by the 1st week in August. Well, he kep stretching, and then stretching, and then finally last Friday I told him get me the money for the final $150. He said o-k. I didn't hear from him all weekend, and then Monday he texted me and said he would be at the house on Wednesday. Well, last night at 9pm I told him to get ahold of within 30 minutes or bring the truck back (voicemail). He never responded. This morning at 11am I left another voicemail and told him to leave the truck in my driveway by 3pm, or have cash in hand. If he didn't, I would report the truck as stolen. At 3pm I got a text from him, he said "I've been in an accident, the truck locked up, skidded 150 feet into oncoming traffic. I am pretty shaken up and never made it to the bank."

So I called, he said he was o-k, and the truck was on the side of the road. He told me where, and I asked where he was at. He told me he went to work and left the truck alone (WTF???).

So I called a friend to drive to the truck location, told him what had happened, and feared the worst. My friend calls me back, tells me the truck is fine, rear-end is locked up, and no damage otherwise.

I went to where my 'friend' works to get the keys for the truck, and asked him if had the money. He said no, cause he had an accident with the truck. I took the keys and told him I was sorry it didn't work out. He said "no worries, but I'll pay for the repair bill." I said "Don't worry about it, I got it. I'm just sorry this didn't work out the way you wanted it to. I'm keeping the truck."

He had the audacity to call me immature, ridiculous, and then he texted me saying "Don't ever speak to me again!"

I went to the truck.

No coolant, it leaked into the passenger side, maybe through the heater core.
Rear-end is locked up hard, possibly ring-and-pinion.
Transmission makes a funny ringing sound when it idles (manual-shift).

And to top it all off, I have paid $300.00 the past 6 months to keep it insured. So, he paid me only $350.00. I profited $50.00. But then again, not really, cause now I have a tow -bill and mechanic bill to pay in order to get it running so I can drive/sell it again!

I'm an ass-hat for trusting. :(

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
It happens....lesson learned, at least he didnt take you for more money and you know what kinda friend he really is.

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
It happens....lesson learned, at least he didnt take you for more money and you know what kinda friend he really is.
X2- It could have been a lot worse if it had been a more exspensive truck. Call me at work tomorrow, I'll see what I can do about helping you out on parts and such. I think you need a beer. :naughty:

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,015 Posts
If you are only going to get 500 for it fixed, you might as well just scrap it. you can probably get 3-350 for it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Damn good call on going and getting the truck as soon as you found out it was on the side of the road. With Michigans driver responsibility laws if they impounded it you would have had to pay out the ass.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are only going to get 500 for it fixed, you might as well just scrap it. you can probably get 3-350 for it.
It's actually worth $1100.00, I was trying to do my friend a favor. It has the old 5-speed 2.2 litre v6 (iron horse).

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Give the truck and I'll give you the $150.00 he owes you for the truck :nana:
Give the truck what? A bath? Ok! Deal!

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
Is it a v-6 (2.8) or the 4cyl 2.5(ironhorse)
it called the GM Iron Duke 4 cylinder

if he treated you that way he really isn't a friend.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,457 Posts
Sorry to hear.

I try to help alot of people out as well. I recently went out on a limb for someone and, well they cut the limb off. Live and learn, I do good "usually".

I do give you props for trying, people should help people, just not the ones who do not appreciate it.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
***Update***

So I got a text message today from my 'friend' asking me for $305 for work he had done to the truck previous to me coming to get it. He also said I snuck behind him to steal the truck. (Despite me telling him I was going to take the truck if he didn't have the cash by 3pm...)
So I asked him for his address. I was going to send him a letter outlining why I didn't owe him anything but he refuses to give me an address! Aggravating!

Anyone out here know how to find someone's address? I have used google, myspace, zabasearch, but don't wish to pay. I have his cellphone number but cannot find it that way either.

I need to mail him something Return-Receipt-Requested with an absolvement request.

Could I have him served a letter and let them do the legwork?

·
Old School
33,028 Posts
Dude- titles in your name, right? you don't owe him shit, and if he's that broke he can't afford an attorney or even the filing fees for small claims court.

Fukc him.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts