Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GeoDude
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back in the 80's when the ranger came with the 2.3 turbo diesel did anyone here own one and what are your thoughts on it? was it slowere than slow or did it have that diesel spunk where there was always power. just wondering. trying to decide if i want to buy one

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
that was the first ranger i owned. wasnt as spunky as the v6 but it was alright def got better mpg..and nothing beat all the guys running over too u yelling hey no thats a diesel pump at almost every gas station...lol...i would love to find another one...

·
Rubber Side Down
267 Posts
I am no expert on em, I would like to find one as well for S&G's, from what i heard they had a heck of a problem with cracking blocks and heads, so not too many around anymore. If you find a spare let me know.

·
Just another day
3,258 Posts
my dads buddy had one of these and it was great running truck. He had over 250K miles on it when he sold it and it still ran great....and he averaged 30 mpg

·
poser wheeler
78 Posts
My buddy has one, 85' TD, 5 speed, 4x4. Nice little truck, and actualy has decent power, for what it is. Mileage is always around 33mpg for it.

·
Ranger Addiction?
2,064 Posts
I didn't think the early Ranger diesels came with a turbo? :confused:

I always thought they were N/A diesels.

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
oh yeah they did have the turbos, turbo diesel gen 1's. LMC truck magazine sells the replacement turbos for them as well.

·
Ranger Addiction?
2,064 Posts
I see them crop up now and again, unfortunately most are donor or parts trucks because parts are so difficult to find. Ebay (of course) seems to be most common. For a running one in decent shape I'd expect to see $1000 - $1300 or so.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
They also made a diesel tempo...talk about mileage :sonicjay:

·
YJ now
1,408 Posts
I think a big problem with those 80s 4 cylinder diesels what that they used a belt to drive the cam, so once you timing belt broke it was game over.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
That would be a cool truck... but a real fun one is putting the 2.3 turbo from thunderbird and what not into it. My friend did it in an 88 and is going to do it in his 94 now

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If one of the OEM's made a compact w/ a diesel again, it's sell like crazy

As stated, a major problem with these is parts availability....but it would be cool to have.

There's a guy over on pirate who had stuffed a cummins into a ranger.....that would be a bad ass swap, but it's still not OEM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts