Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
65861 - 65880 of 65914 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,693 Posts
Sports needs Male, Female, Unlimited. Unlimited should be run what your brung. No tests for drugs.

In more exciting news, I put an external panel antenna on the wifi repeater in my barn. I have it aimed where the house router is. I had tested pre-antenna and found I got 4Mbps with all doors closed, around 10Mbps with the man door open, and 40Mbps with the overhead door open. With the antenna on a temp setup, I was just under 70Mbps. Well worth the $50 for antenna and cable.

In case anyone wants to clone the setup, the repeater is a Netgear R6400. It has 2 detachable antennas. I hooked up the outdoor mount to the lower and left the upper antenna alone. Interestingly, it's about half the speed on the 2.6(?) channel, but the 5G is fast. The antenna is a Tupavco TP542.

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
I don't care what your gender is, or how you identify yourself. However, if you make it difficult for me to pick, I'm just going to call you FirstName LastName. A HeSheIt I work with has changed their identity 3 times since I've known them. I literally don't care as long as they get their work done and they do good work. I told them that I have a difficult time enough putting faces to names and I literally don't care as I believe as long as nobody makes anybody else's life more miserable. I literally don't care and we're stuck on this rock together to fret over such things for our short period alive.

They were a bit upset because "it is important to them" and I said "I'm fine with it being important to you, but unless I am adversely impacting your well-being does it really matter to anyone else? Do you feel that it is fair for you to force your will of it being important to you on others?" I think they got what I was saying, and since then I noticed they'd been less hostile towards others who didn't care.

In the olden days you could make an identity for yourself using sports teams or where you went to college or or or or. Shit, even the car you drive. But now it's more about the threads you can afford to buy and the shitty meals you bought on the beach for the 'gram.

I think we are at a point where so many people believe they are truly special when in reality they're just another snowflake adrift in the storm. It's really difficult to grow up thinking you're special and to find out that literally no one cares. I know it sounds really "boomer" to blame it on cellphones, but I think people's lack of personal connection whatsoever--something as simple as eye contact--has made people feel like they aren't special to anyone. And to be honest, they're probably not, and I think most people know that by the time they become a cog on society going to work to do whatever just to keep living... but today people aren't ready for that.

I'm an Old Millennial. A bunch of my friends my age are really struggling right now. They got to a good place in life through hard work and determination but they're struggling with "there has to be more to life than this". I think I'm past that am into "Well, if I'm lucky I'll not get bored before I die and my lifetime of collecting cool shit will not go through probate".

Our goddamn cat is missing. I'm an introvert. I will avoid social interaction at all costs. My wife is an introvert masquerading as an extrovert. Something as simple as going door to door handing out fliers to find our goddamn cat... I got her to come out of the car maybe 2 times total? I'll go knock on doors and stop people in the road to talk to them. I'm on a mission. A few people I tried hard to make a connection with and I got a couple callbacks out of it because they asked their friends if they saw our cat. I start with "Hi, I'm looking for our cat, I was wondering if you've seen him... he looks like every other cat you've ever seen but he's special to us here's a flier with pictures... we live at the crappy house down the road by blah blah blah... you sure do have a nice house here and it's super quiet..." My experience is most people won't do that effort, but they'll tear down someone for having ugly toes on dreddit. I met some weird as fuck people in the last two weeks, clearly struggling in life, like hill people weird, like the kind if the world ends they'll show up at my house and I'll have a pile of shoes like Book of Eli.

It's really rough to go your whole life trying to build an identity for yourself, afraid of what the world is because it makes less sense than it used to...

and to find out you're just another fucking sheep in the herd.

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
In more exciting news, I put an external panel antenna on the wifi repeater in my barn. I have it aimed where the house router is. I had tested pre-antenna and found I got 4Mbps with all doors closed, around 10Mbps with the man door open, and 40Mbps with the overhead door open. With the antenna on a temp setup, I was just under 70Mbps. Well worth the $50 for antenna and cable.

In case anyone wants to clone the setup, the repeater is a Netgear R6400. It has 2 detachable antennas. I hooked up the outdoor mount to the lower and left the upper antenna alone. Interestingly, it's about half the speed on the 2.6(?) channel, but the 5G is fast. The antenna is a Tupavco TP542.
So instead of bothering with a wifi repeater, which wastes spectrum, have you considered putting it in AP mode and connecting it to the main router on a LAN port using an Ethernet cable? I can cover 8 acres with two WAPs.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,061 Posts
People needing identity and importance and feeling special and "more in life" need to get over it. Years ago I job hopped quite a bit. I soon discovered that my friends were more like "associates". Most of our friends are by association, meaning we had something in common like kids, sports, work, hobbies and location. People that we partied with, went to dinner with, even vacationed with were only friends because of something we have in common. When we changed jobs or hobbies or our kids moved on to other things, we simply faded apart. True, close friends are few and far between. It's reality.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,693 Posts
So instead of bothering with a wifi repeater, which wastes spectrum, have you considered putting it in AP mode and connecting it to the main router on a LAN port using an Ethernet cable? I can cover 8 acres with two WAPs.
I don't feel like I'm out of spectrum (bandwidth?) at the moment. Primary smart tv is hardwired, other devices are on the same WAP, but have never seen slowdowns due to users on network.

Barn is ~200ft from house. I already have gas and electric going from house/garage to barn. I really didn't want to run cable or network cable out there due to potentially requiring a 2nd trench or whatever other inconveniences it would incur. Signal is good around the property from the main WAP, except in the metal barn, with metal interior walls. The antenna only serves to workaround the metal wall issue. I get that running a wire in would as well.

·
Yooper In Training
7,570 Posts
Yes, but you said what I said but equally long! haha. I'm kind of picky about what I buy. You should have seen me lose my shit when Nestea ceased to exist.

I'm glad you got a raise that was worthwhile. While I've been looking for my damn cat every day feeding ticks and mosquitoes I think how much that it sucks and the gut-wrenching every time I get a whiff of a dead animal and am afraid I'm going to find the damn cat... but it's got nothing on losing a kidlet.
Yeah I certainly feel for you on the cat thing, I was there 2 years ago. It sucks and I'm hoping it turns up back at home when you least expect it. If ours can make it back, any of them can.

And yes it's nothing like losing a kid, but it's not something either of us wants to compete on either. I've lost pets, it sucks. They're not your own flesh and blood but they're 100% still family

People needing identity and importance and feeling special and "more in life" need to get over it. Years ago I job hopped quite a bit. I soon discovered that my friends were more like "associates". Most of our friends are by association, meaning we had something in common like kids, sports, work, hobbies and location. People that we partied with, went to dinner with, even vacationed with were only friends because of something we have in common. When we changed jobs or hobbies or our kids moved on to other things, we simply faded apart. True, close friends are few and far between. It's reality.
Absolutely true. Too many people think the world owes them something and that if they're not happy the world should change to fix that. That ain't how it works, junior. If you're not happy fix yourself or your circumstances. Of course society and many parents have gotten too soft to tell them that because god forbid someone gets offended.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

“The moment you say that any idea system is sacred, whether it’s a religious belief system or a secular ideology, the moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible.”

“Some people looove to feel offended because it makes them feel important. When your only tool is a hammer, suddenly every problem starts to look like a nail. And when the only time you feel relevant is when you claim to be offended, suddenly everything looks offensive.”

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,516 Posts
Teach kids that boys are boys and girls are girls. Encourage it. "IF" they are truly gay, they will know and they will know for sure "when" they know. Why do I say this? It's a discussion I had when a guy I know told me he was gay, his progression through life, no interest in girls, etc.

We found it quite interesting that my sister in law always wanted "gender neutral" toys for her kids. (1 boy, 1 girl) It's amazing how much he was a boy and how much she was a girl. They migrated to those things they were interested in. Him; guns, boats, diving. Her; dancing and pretty clothes. All this even though both kids were only exposed to gender neutral toys in their early years.

And at the end of the day, your genetics and what you have between your legs are either male or female. Everything else is in your head.
I can see that approach backfiring if the boy decides he prefers "girls thing" or vice verses. Now they think that there's something "wrong" with them that needs to be fixed.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,249 Posts
I can see that approach backfiring if the boy decides he prefers "girls thing" or vice verses. Now they think that there's something "wrong" with them that needs to be fixed.
Your job as a parent to teach that different doesn't mean wrong, but different is still different.

Reactions: SHARPMACHINE

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
So I picked wheat last week. It's a problem because of how much of the world gets its calories from wheat (because it's cheaper to grow than rice due to labor costs):

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,249 Posts
Update on the Fusion situation for us.

It's no longer a situation; wife and I just traded it in on a 2014 impala. Impala only had 20,000 miles on it; was a no brainer purchase. Dealer gave us well over what I was hoping to get too. So, no longer our problem and the ford worked long enough to get it dropped off at the dealer lol

·
Desert Rat
7,523 Posts
I wish leprosy and monkey pox on whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a six story 100+ room hotel on the beach in Manistee.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,516 Posts
I wish leprosy and monkey pox on whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a six story 100+ room hotel on the beach in Manistee.
Damn capitalists.

·
Desert Rat
7,523 Posts
Yeah, how dare them do what they wish with their own money and property...whhhhuut asshats
A little more convoluted than that.
The city approved it basically surrendering the tiny public city park and beach to the hotel.
A land grab.

·
Registered
804 Posts
And i agree with you in that case... they can all get bent... that situation has probably been in play for a long time, and there will likely be parties and back alley money exchanges whilst they pat themselves on the back for bringing commerce to the area:rolleyes:

65861 - 65880 of 65914 Posts