Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
65741 - 65760 of 65777 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
“Two kinds of cars I don’t like working on: mine and everyone else’s”

You can take it to a shop, and kick yourself in the ass because you could have done it cheaper and better (correctly) yourself.

You can do it yourself and find out it is not as it seemed, spend time chasing your tail, throw parts at it you don’t need, then take it to the shop anyway.
I think I did both of those things with this shop.

In a way, Im hoping it is the rack and pinion and not a wiring issue, because it's just like a mouse or chipmunk chewed a wire, then otherwise I literally went through that whole fucking issue and replacing the RP for nothing.

·
Project Antitube
1,213 Posts
Most shops won't pay for the hardware or the monthly subscription service. I call these shops parts changers. They just change parts until it works.

Pretty much anything made in the last decade that has wires going to it can do diagnostics.

I assume it's the Fusion in your signature. If so, it's got the old style EPS that uses relays and little else. It is dirt simple. They probably ruined the pigtail when disassembling. It's usually the relays in the EPS that fail.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
Most shops won't pay for the hardware or the monthly subscription service. I call these shops parts changers. They just change parts until it works.

Pretty much anything made in the last decade that has wires going to it can do diagnostics.

I assume it's the Fusion in your signature. If so, it's got the old style EPS that uses relays and little else. It is dirt simple. They probably ruined the pigtail when disassembling. It's usually the relays in the EPS that fail.
That's the one, the system seemed pretty straight forward looking at the wiring diagram for it, just runs power through a small fuse in the cab, and a 50a under the hood, everything else seemed like it was all internal on the RP itself. And looking up all the recall and extended warranty period BS for it (which of course I am out of), I was reasonably sure the RP was junk, not much else it could be so I didn't think much when the shop said it's bad.

Like I said, after the new/reman one was put in and the shop said "it's not talking to it"; (the exact same thing he said for the old one) was when I questioned their ability. I can change parts until shit works, not why I take my shit to a shop. You're not an auto shop because you can turn a wrench, change my mind.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
That's due to the instant gratification of face space type social media...
Yup, social media can keep me entertained for a little while, but nothing like this place used to. Facebook is only good for marketplace, and every time they update it they fawk it up worse. Instagram is fun for the looking at instahoes, TikTok can keeps me entertained the most.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts

Finally got an update on the Fusion. Dealer just called and said they got it all working. Said they put the scanner on it and had a U(something)131, loss of communication with the RP. So they did some digging and found bad wiring, guy said the wiring basically fell apart when he grabbed it, and a busted PIN 3 on the connector. Replaced that, reprogrammed the RP and it works perfectly.

Asked why I had the RP replaced in the first place, said cause that's what the shop told me needed replaced. They couldn't say for sure if the old RP needed to be replaced, but just that the wiring has been that way for quite a while. Which is funny, cause the shop supposedly said they "checked the wiring".

So, either, the work wasn't done at all, didn't need to be done, or wasn't done right.

god do I hate repair shops.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It's a pain in the dick to find a shop thats good and trustworthy and doesn't bankrupt you in repairs.

Everyone yammers about our throwaway culture, but when you get slapped in the pee pee with a 3500 repair bill on a 5k car, it's not hard to see why someone would rather just punt it and sign up for a monthly payment instead.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
It's a pain in the dick to find a shop thats good and trustworthy and doesn't bankrupt you in repairs.

Everyone yammers about our throwaway culture, but when you get slapped in the pee pee with a 3500 repair bill on a 5k car, it's not hard to see why someone would rather just punt it and sign up for a monthly payment instead.
The dealer cost is what it is, at least they got the fawking thing working. Nothing to be done there. Guess i'll just wait and see what they shop tries to charge me; say what you want, but if the issue was a broken wire and busted connector pin, there's no reason why a "repair shop" couldn't have found it. So whose to say if the RP even needed to be replaced at all. My car isn't at the shop anymore, in my name at the dealer, and I didn't sign any paperwork for the work. I'd love to see them try to charge me for the "work" they did do it to "find the problem"

·
Desert Rat
7,463 Posts

To quote my dear departed father “don’t put too much money in a $500 car”.
at the time I needed a radiator for my 1959 Nash Metropolitan. At the time of the 1973 gas shortage it was a worthy option, all pops saw was a throw away car.

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
at the time I needed a radiator for my 1959 Nash Metropolitan. At the time of the 1973 gas shortage it was a worthy option, all pops saw was a throw away car.
man those were ugly cars... :LOL:

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
I suppose, I look at it, even if I have to pay $2,000 to fix one of my vehicles. That's still cheaper than buying a new one. I just like to know what i'm paying for, i'm actually getting.

·
Desert Rat
7,463 Posts
I suppose, I look at it, even if I have to pay $2,000 to fix one of my vehicles. That's still cheaper than buying a new one. I just like to know what i'm paying for, i'm actually getting.
You go buy a new used car, you are just buying someone elses problems.

I am doing that now.
BUT, I am driving what I want to drive. I just have to fix what he wouldn’t.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My town, Ionia, has asked for a mileage to raise 450,000 a year, for twenty years, to move the library into a building they were given for free.

This is 450,000 a year in addition to their current operating budget.

This has been voted down in November, and again in March...

Guess what we're doing in August?!?!

I guess this is how government works, just keep jamming it on the ballot on random days until people aren't paying attention and you can grift the people for 10 million bucks.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
My town, Ionia, has asked for a mileage to raise 450,000 a year, for twenty years, to move the library into a building they were given for free.

This is 450,000 a year in addition to their current operating budget.

This has been voted down in November, and again in March...

Guess what we're doing in August?!?!

I guess this is how government works, just keep jamming it on the ballot on random days until people aren't paying attention and you can grift the people for 10 million bucks.
But they need to do updates to the building; that costs money. Plus they need to pay the proper salary to the library staff, then a bit more for a proper maintenance person for the newly renovated building, then a library board to oversee the brand new, building and overfunded staff, to ensure funds are going to the proper place; which means they'll need more funds to continue to provide that service they just made up

This is all pretty basic.

Reactions: Jrgunn5150

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
You go buy a new used car, you are just buying someone elses problems.

I am doing that now.
BUT, I am driving what I want to drive. I just have to fix what he wouldn’t.
Never bought a brand new vehicle; hopefully never will, unless i'm somehow flushed with cash that's burning a hole in my pocket; which lets be honest, not sure that's ever going to happen.

I've had more issues taking my junk to a shop than fixing it myself; which is probably part of the problem since like stated above, most shops aren't doing anything more than I do in my driveway, just changing out parts until shit starts working.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
Actually picked my car back up from the dealer. I really just should have gone there to begin with; learn a lesson every time.

Was $340 including a $99 alignment cause I put on new tie rod ends before I took it in. Dealer had a DTC for U0131, lost communication with PSCM. Did some looking and found a busted wire that corroded apart, and a busted PIN 3 on Connector C1467B; so no power was getting to the PSCM. Fixed the busted wire and pin, reprogrammed the new R&P with as-built data, and works great.

Like I said, now how to you show that the RP even needed to be replaced in the first place, corrosion enough to break a wire doesn't happen in a couple days, and a busted pin doesn't happen when the connector is connected. So now what to do with the other shop; i'm very much included to straight up tell the guy i'm not paying for replacing the RP when the issue very likely appears to be a broken wire from corrosion.

65741 - 65760 of 65777 Posts