Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
65721 - 65740 of 65777 Posts

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
I always wonder why they don't do more to promote when they make diesel cars and trucks. The most common question I get in my truck is, "that's a diesel? Didn't know they made them". Same as the wifes Jeep.

They act like they don't want them to succeed lol.
I know... Sometimes I feel like it's a niche market because only the diesel lovers go looking for these types of vehicles. If they did more to promote the strength, economy, and longevity of them, they might sell more of them....

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
I always wonder why they don't do more to promote when they make diesel cars and trucks. The most common question I get in my truck is, "that's a diesel? Didn't know they made them". Same as the wifes Jeep.

They act like they don't want them to succeed lol.
I can say that I had no idea they made a diesel cruze....I would not mind finding a good mpg beater. Would like to find a early 2000s buick. Other than looking like how they does, the 30+ miles per gallon, cheap parts, and supreme comfort is very appealing

·
Registered
777 Posts
Honestly doesn't make sense. Over seas diesel is the majority. Here they are frowned upon. Especially as of late because of coal rolling dousche nozels who do everything they can to take the mileage back to the sixties...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Generally, just telling people, my full size half ton truck averages 24 mpg with me doing absolutely nothing to maximize mileage... I don't hypermile, don't tailgate, I run 78 down the freeway, 60 down the 2 lane, pass when I want, haul engines, transmissions, axles, other trucks... And get 575-600 miles to a tank sells it for most people.

I happen to actually need, and use a truck frequently, or I'd be in a TDI in a heartbeat. No fancy airfilter is going to do as much as simply buying an 06 Jetta and knocking out 45 mpg like it's nothing. Which is why I'm doing the Powerstroke, when that truck is ready for the road, my Ram is history, I don't need a truck to drive to my office 5 days a week. Neither does anyone else, but they can't seem to admit it lol.

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Generally, just telling people, my full size half ton truck averages 24 mpg with me doing absolutely nothing to maximize mileage... I don't hypermile, don't tailgate, I run 78 down the freeway, 60 down the 2 lane, pass when I want, haul engines, transmissions, axles, other trucks... And get 575-600 miles to a tank sells it for most people.

I happen to actually need, and use a truck frequently, or I'd be in a TDI in a heartbeat. No fancy airfilter is going to do as much as simply buying an 06 Jetta and knocking out 45 mpg like it's nothing. Which is why I'm doing the Powerstroke, when that truck is ready for the road, my Ram is history, I don't need a truck to drive to my office 5 days a week. Neither does anyone else, but they can't seem to admit it lol.
Right... I don't need a truck for a DD, but I do need it for vacations and weekend activities... Which is why I am reconsidering selling the Cruze. I didn't want 3 vehicles again, but this might not be the worst thing in the world right now...

I remember back in 2016 we went to Florida for a friends wedding and I averaged 50.1mpg... I think It cost me less than $140 to drive there and back.... :LOL:

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
Right... I don't need a truck for a DD, but I do need it for vacations and weekend activities... Which is why I am reconsidering selling the Cruze. I didn't want 3 vehicles again, but this might not be the worst thing in the world right now...

I remember back in 2016 we went to Florida for a friends wedding and I averaged 50.1mpg... I think It cost me less than $140 to drive there and back.... :LOL:
My car has been in the shop for over a week, cause they can't figure out why my power steering doesn't work after a new electric rack and pinon (I can, because they don't have the right pass through device, and the new RP require programing with base programming, but can't tell them that because they're 'the professionals' and I don't know what i'm talking about).

Which is what I usually drive to/from work when I go out of county; so far it's been fine cause my wife's jeep still gets ok mileage; nothign special but the meter on it says about 18 mpg average (not sure if that's accurate since it's lifted and bigger tires), but it's still better than my gmc would get.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
One nice thing about the Ram @ 24 mpg, is even with stupid fuel costs, I didn't really think much of driving to west Oklahoma, picking up a cab, and toting it back home.

If I still had my old 8.1 truck, that trip wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
My truck has been in the shop for a week getting body work done, so I have been driving the diesel Cruze.... While i HATE little cars, and the inside of this thing is disgusting from all my wife's messes, I am impressed with the 38.8mpg average on my 42 mile city / highway daily commute. I think for now, I'll keep my truck in the garage and keep the miles off it and drive this as a work beater...

It needs brakes though, bad.... I'll have to write GM a letter and let them know my disgust with the fact that factory brakes only lasted 140,000 miles. :ROFLMAO:
Is it because of the Jake Break? LOL

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
Shop finally called on my car. Not gonna lie, sometimes the "dumbing" down shops have a tendency to do, really does not instill faith in them....according to the shop, his plugged into the car and the computer "is not talking to it" referring to the new rack and pinion. It's just "not talking to it". Wtf does that even mean?

Asked what we do from here...."I don't know", yea, that's what you want to hear from a shop. It may be my computer, cause the RP might have taken out the PCM. Just the part that controls the PS, nothing else, everything else works perfectly fine. With lots and lots, and lots and lots of RP issues with that car/steering setup, requires a new RP and the new RP has to be programmed with base programming.

Now...i've never been accused of being overly smart, but to me, if an electronic gizmo requires base programming, until you install the base programming, it ain't going to work, or "talk to the computer". If the guy did that, and it's still not working, that's a different story, but the best the guy can say is "I don't know, the computer isn't talking to it at all". Even though I handed him the step for step, exactly how and what tools are required for base programming.

If I wanted to do that, I would have done the job in my garage, sitting on jack stands. And been in the same position and still on the same timeframe. 2 weeks alter.

Reactions: Jrgunn5150

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
I hate to say it, but that's why I use the dealer... I've had issues with them too, but at least in situations like this where a tech can't figure it out, they can call corporate for support.

·
Desert Rat
7,463 Posts
I hate to say it, but that's why I use the dealer... I've had issues with them too, but at least in situations like this where a tech can't figure it out, they can call corporate for support.
How much is your time worth?
I can spend three hours pulling fuses, testing circuits, or I can pay the dealer $75 to hook it up and do all that in ten minutes from his keyboard. But then again, sometimes you get lucky.

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
I can spend three hours pulling fuses, testing circuits, or I can pay the dealer $75 to hook it up and do all that in ten minutes from his keyboard. But then again, sometimes you get lucky.
Exactly. This is why I pay for the hard repairs and do the easy ones myself.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
I wanted to take it there to begin with, but the fawkers never called me back lol

97% of the time, I don't think the dealer is worth it; however when it comes to electronic/computers, they are 100% a better choice. Least for the shops around me. I have not found a good shape that actually does any "diagnosis" rather they find the one problem and just jump to "yep, this is your problem", when it's really just a guess.

Exactly. This is why I pay for the hard repairs and do the easy ones myself.
Generally what I like to do; there is some stuff that I could probably do, but i'd rather not do them on my garage floor. And the PS rack and pinon on the ford takes a level of tearing shit apart that I did not want to do laying on my back; plus I'd still have to take it in to get the programming done, so what's the point. In hindsight, should have just went straight to the dealer.

That being said, I actually stopped at the dealer after work yesterday and talked to the service guy about the car; he was really cool about it, and knew me through my uncle so that's a plus. He recognized the car because the shop called him to bring it in, talked with him about the problems it was having and he said he was confused by the shops "description" of what it wasn't doing; so the service guy just said bring it in, we'll look at it. He said to him, how I described what it was doing and not doing, sounded more like a wiring issue since there wasn't the normal service PS warning lights.

The Shop is under new owners, and it's a younger guy that I think is doing most of the work himself, seems like he has a buddy that's probably working for cash too, but I probably wont be talking my stuff there anymore. It's basically what would happen if I started a shop. Sure I can do 75% of the grunt work, brakes, struts, engine mounts, swap rear end... but computer stuff? Nope, not this guy.

That takes the number of non-dealer shops i'm willing to give my hard earned cash to, from 1 to 0....damnit.

·
Desert Rat
7,463 Posts
“Two kinds of cars I don’t like working on: mine and everyone else’s”

You can take it to a shop, and kick yourself in the ass because you could have done it cheaper and better (correctly) yourself.

You can do it yourself and find out it is not as it seemed, spend time chasing your tail, throw parts at it you don’t need, then take it to the shop anyway.

65721 - 65740 of 65777 Posts