Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
65641 - 65660 of 65661 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,552 Posts
I simply mean increased demand means you can charge more. As in, a bunch of people are buying this, so I'll raise the price until they slow down. Not a bunch of people are buying this so it's scarce.

Companies posting record profits while shrugging and mumbling about inflation shows me its all just a mild form of extortion lol.
In that case I completely agree. Profiteering at its finest. Demand went up, supply was fine, but they saw an opportunity to make more off that supply.

Most portable energy these days is based on BTU content.

I paid $5.09 for premium, and it's not even summer blend yet. I have no idea how people are affording this. I had to go to work two days this week and this is the first time in a long time I slowed down to save fuel.
I usually run at least 91 octane in mine, 93 if towing. I've been going cheap and running 89 unless towing the past few months and I can definitely tell a performance difference mostly in off the line mild acceleration. It lugs a bit more instead of just getting the hell out of its own way.

*For those that think I'm full of shit, it's a 6.2L with 11.5:1 compression, it really does detune itself with lower octane fuel.

·
Gustafson
10,463 Posts
*For those that think I'm full of shit, it's a 6.2L with 11.5:1 compression, it really does detune itself with lower octane fuel.
Yes, I agree. They will detune themselves if you run lower octane.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,896 Posts
The fuel? In my Ram it's B100 biodiesel I process at home. My Toyota can run on straight veg oil or waste motor oil if needed.

B100 just takes filtered veg oil, some methanol, and some lye to make. My cost is about 90 cents a gallon.
Cool, I have thought about getting something I could make fuel for. I used to have a 12 valve and ran ~50% drain oil in that. Dumped it right in the tank and it ran great.

You must get the veggy oil from restaurants?

·
Project Antitube
1,185 Posts
Two years of being told not to go into the office and the work magically got done... now they want us in the office so they can do bedchecks. I submitted a plan of going into the office once per month as a team "for problem solving and training" and as needed otherwise. No pushback yet. I've been going in once every two weeks or so just so my badge has hits on my office because I don't want to lose my office.

I run 87 octane in my truck in the winter. Horsepower loss is minimal, somewhere around 20hp IIRC (I had it on the dyno at Livernois years ago both in summer and winter).

In the summer it pulls so much timing it's insane, especially if still on winter blend 87 octane. I want to say it was something like 70hp loss. Something like 19 degrees it will pull out, and sometimes it will even misfire. On 89 octane it will ping so much on part throttle acceleration it sounds like loose torque converter bolts. Even winter blend 93 octane (what is going on right now still) will ping under heavy load when hot but it only takes out a few degrees of timing.

Seems to take about 200 miles/4 heat cycles for long term fuel trim to get used to a fuel and timing to get spot on. Something to think about.

I have found that Shell 93 is the most reliable. The problem is that most pumps don't have individual fuel handles at Shell stations. So I usually keep a gas can in the back of my truck and fill that first and use that in the lawnmowers or the boss lady's car then fill my truck. A lot of BP stations have individual fuel handles but I've found them to be hit and miss.

On Shell 93, a massaged intake system, and many hours of tuning I got 385hp/420ftlbs out of it. Not bad for something that's supposed to have 420/460 at the crank. Been a couple years since I flashed it back to stock. Been meaning to swap injectors, plenum, and throttle body for a year now and see if I could get it to 420/460 but haven't gotten around to it. Probably won't bother until the exhaust rots out and put headers on it at the same time.

The new GM trucks have a fairly elaborate airbox and air intake that solves a lot of the problems the 6.2L has with high IAT. The new trucks are just so goddamn ugly. Probably won't trade mine in until they decide to abandon anything I like.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,455 Posts
I like beer.

·
Desert Rat
7,404 Posts
Obviously, you cannot force people into electric cars when gasoline is cheap and plentiful.
How many reliable cars were sacrificed for “Cash for Clunkers”?

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Obviously, you cannot force people into electric cars when gasoline is cheap and plentiful.
How many reliable cars were sacrificed for “Cash for Clunkers”?
What I see that could happen is when enough people get into EV's that will put a strain on the power grid. All of a sudden you can't charge your EV. Then what? What about the cost and who would control to cost per Khw?

·
Gustafson
10,463 Posts
Well, I am very sore and very tired, but after driving almost 600 miles and doing 10 hours worth work, the camper is officially ready for camping season.... :LOL:

Plant Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I got bad gas for the first time ever in my life this weekend. Stopped my tractor dead in it's tracks.

Fortunately my solar charged electric lawnmower was good to go lol.

Did waste about an hour pumping the tank, pulling the bowl, and getting the tractor running again.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,455 Posts
I got bad gas for the first time ever in my life this weekend. Stopped my tractor dead in it's tracks.

Fortunately my solar charged electric lawnmower was good to go lol.

Did waste about an hour pumping the tank, pulling the bowl, and getting the tractor running again.
I read that first sentence and thought, " I get bad gas all the time, especially after I eat Mexican".

• Haha
Reactions: Jrgunn5150
65641 - 65660 of 65661 Posts