Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
65441 - 65460 of 65465 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,589 Posts
I would go 10K# mostly for the axle durability. My trailer was originally 7K, but during the last rebuild I put 5K axles under it. I feel it was a worthwhile upgrade.

I would like to duplicate my trailer layout (currently 16' flat deck, originally had a 2' beaver tail I removed) with C-channel and angle. I have thought it would be nice to copy and then sell the original to offset the cost.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I would go 10K# mostly for the axle durability. My trailer was originally 7K, but during the last rebuild I put 5K axles under it. I feel it was a worthwhile upgrade.

I would like to duplicate my trailer layout (currently 16' flat deck, originally had a 2' beaver tail I removed) with C-channel and angle. I have thought it would be nice to copy and then sell the original to offset the cost.
Why did you remove the beaver tail? I'm really not sure how to figure out what length would work best for me. I know Jim really likes his short trailer.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
So my wife and I take a trip to florida for a few weeks, 3 actually. But who's counting. It was really nice to get away to the sun and warm weather. Hit the beaches over on the gulf side, Manisota key just outside Englewood. we have friends there and in North Port. We also were looking at property to maybe build or buy something and split the time between here and there, summers here and winter in Florida. Property values have almost doubled in two years. We were looking at lots for 7500 a piece that have went up to 14 to 15 grand. Missed an opportunity there but we are still looking at nice neighborhoods in North Port.
My wife's cousin lives in Boca Raton but that place is somewhat out of my price range. He has a home that he rents out via AirBnB and says it is rented and pulls in approx 70K a year. Homes start at 500K and that is a bit much to put a down payment on something for investment at this time.
Who else here likes the idea of wintering in Florida?

·
Desert Rat
7,234 Posts
So my wife and I take a trip to florida for a few weeks, 3 actually. But who's counting. It was really nice to get away to the sun and warm weather. Hit the beaches over on the gulf side, Manisota key just outside Englewood. we have friends there and in North Port. We also were looking at property to maybe build or buy something and split the time between here and there, summers here and winter in Florida. Property values have almost doubled in two years. We were looking at lots for 7500 a piece that have went up to 14 to 15 grand. Missed an opportunity there but we are still looking at nice neighborhoods in North Port.
My wife's cousin lives in Boca Raton but that place is somewhat out of my price range. He has a home that he rents out via AirBnB and says it is rented and pulls in approx 70K a year. Homes start at 500K and that is a bit much to put a down payment on something for investment at this time.
A couple of friends and I rented a house on Little Gasparilla Island for the month of February.
While we totally dug island life, fishing 24/7, cruising the various bars and restaurants on the ICW by boat (check out “cabbage key”), and sunning on a beach in winter. My best vacation EVER!
Our forays into Placida and Englewood yielded a plethora of bow-legged, gapped-toothed booger eating morons accosting us to ”spare a dollar”. That cured any urge I had to move to Florida.
BUT, I now know more. I would gladly do it again by camper, pulling the boat. There are a couple campgrounds close to Eldreds Marina that looked promising.

·
Project Antitube
1,105 Posts
I know a lot of people that have moved to Florida in the last two years. Young and old. I haven't been to Florida since probably 2006. It seemed full when I was there 15 years ago so I can't imagine how congested it has to be now.

I have no interest in that state. Seems like it's just skin cancer and then waiting to die. The weather is like Las Vegas, but with humidity. So you're miserable unless you're on the ocean.

I'm still leaning towards eastern Tennessee but more west.. maybe even as far as eastern Texas... isn't off the table. Tennessee has my attention, especially the eastern end, because the weather is like here but nicer. If you live in the mountains it's a little cooler. But more importantly, no income tax and you're a short drive to multiple states with 6% sales tax instead of 10.5% sales tax. The people also are probably more my kind of people than the average place down souf.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,933 Posts
My grandparents have a place in Astor, FL; about an hour and a half north of Orlando. My wife and I loved visiting there cause it was only like 30 minutes from Daytona beach; only real downside was Astor doesn't have much to do itself. It was really nice to have a actual place to go back to vs. a hotel room when we visited. They called it a campground, but really it's just like an RV park with a mix of mobile homes and year round campers. Really nice area actually, good people..etc. Their lot was right in front on a corner so the only neighbors you had were behind you; big corner lot to yourself.

They actually have the place up for sale; if my wife and I could afford it, i'd buy it to keep in the family; the lot rent monthly was like $350, so pretty cheap for that. I'd like to keep it in the family in general...but long story with that. So for sale it sits.

Reactions: aber61

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
A couple of friends and I rented a house on Little Gasparilla Island for the month of February.
While we totally dug island life, fishing 24/7, cruising the various bars and restaurants on the ICW by boat (check out “cabbage key”), and sunning on a beach in winter. My best vacation EVER!
Our forays into Placida and Englewood yielded a plethora of bow-legged, gapped-toothed booger eating morons accosting us to ”spare a dollar”. That cured any urge I had to move to Florida.
BUT, I now know more. I would gladly do it again by camper, pulling the boat. There are a couple campgrounds close to Eldreds Marina that looked promising.
Sounds like you had a great time. Next time I really need to do some salt water fishing. I will check out cabbage key for sure. I'm not I'd be able to talk the wife into camping though. Bugs and snakes and critters are not her friends. She dislikes them plenty and tells me, there's a spider, bug or flying thing in here and you need to kill it.
We only saw a few of those bow-legged critters you speak about.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
My grandparents have a place in Astor, FL; about an hour and a half north of Orlando. My wife and I loved visiting there cause it was only like 30 minutes from Daytona beach; only real downside was Astor doesn't have much to do itself. It was really nice to have a actual place to go back to vs. a hotel room when we visited. They called it a campground, but really it's just like an RV park with a mix of mobile homes and year round campers. Really nice area actually, good people..etc. Their lot was right in front on a corner so the only neighbors you had were behind you; big corner lot to yourself.

They actually have the place up for sale; if my wife and I could afford it, i'd buy it to keep in the family; the lot rent monthly was like $350, so pretty cheap for that. I'd like to keep it in the family in general...but long story with that. So for sale it sits.
I like the idea of having someplace to go in the winter months. I don't mind the winter but I like the warm weather and sun more. So hopefully in a year or two we will have someplace to go for the winter.
If you are thinking about it you might want to jump on it before the prices go up more than they already are and they seem to be doing it all over the state.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
I know a lot of people that have moved to Florida in the last two years. Young and old. I haven't been to Florida since probably 2006. It seemed full when I was there 15 years ago so I can't imagine how congested it has to be now.

I have no interest in that state. Seems like it's just skin cancer and then waiting to die. The weather is like Las Vegas, but with humidity. So you're miserable unless you're on the ocean.

I'm still leaning towards eastern Tennessee but more west.. maybe even as far as eastern Texas... isn't off the table. Tennessee has my attention, especially the eastern end, because the weather is like here but nicer. If you live in the mountains it's a little cooler. But more importantly, no income tax and you're a short drive to multiple states with 6% sales tax instead of 10.5% sales tax. The people also are probably more my kind of people than the average place down souf.
Yes Florida is busy with traffic. Finding the right times of day to get out is important and avoiding the highways is always a good idea. Close to the water but not to close is good enough for me.
Tennessee is a nice state with nice people.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,272 Posts
Why did you remove the beaver tail? I'm really not sure how to figure out what length would work best for me. I know Jim really likes his short trailer.
I'm in the market for a trailer and have been pondering the same thing. I want the shortest, lightest trailer that will safely handle a TJ. I'll be towing with a Gladiator with max tow package.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,272 Posts
First, it depends on your budget. After that, buy the capacity you need plus a little extra. Big thing I see is people buying longer trailers than they need which just adds to the cost and weight. Decide what you want it for, what you are going to haul on it and go from there. Realize that 10% of your total weight will be on your tow vehicle hitch.

So for example, your rig weighs 5,000#, and the trailer weighs another 1,500# = 6,500#. The tongue weight will be +/-650#. So 90% is 5850# on the axles. Keep in mind that (my guess) that 150# of that are wheels/tires (meaning the bearings don't have to carry that load) taking you to 5,700# sprung weight & axles. Divide by 2 means each axle carries 2,850#. If you get 3,500# axles, you have about a 20% safety factor.

Others may say bigger is better. Sorta true but it cost $$$$$.
I have 2 other reasons for not going with the "bigger is better" theory. One is that my intended tow rig, a 2021 Jeep Gladiator has a tow rating of 7650 pounds, so I want to keep the trailer weight a low at possible. The other is limited driveway space,
so I want it to be as short as possible.

·
Desert Rat
7,234 Posts
GermanGirl: What’s a “cunt”?
Me: I’ll have to get back to you on that. But don’t call anyone that unless you want both our asses kicked.

·
Gustafson
10,239 Posts
GermanGirl: What’s a “cunt”?
Me: I’ll have to get back to you on that. But don’t call anyone that unless you want both our asses kicked.
:ROFLMAO:

Now the real question is.... Where did she hear that?

·
Desert Rat
7,234 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

Now the real question is.... Where did she hear that?
MatT McConoughy movie “The Gentlemen“
They used that word more in that movie than I have in my whole life.

65441 - 65460 of 65465 Posts