Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61421 - 61440 of 65111 Posts

·
Whoop Whoop
17,241 Posts
Let me rephrase... I still like different or interesting vehicles :sonicjay: An Accord is not that.

I'm going to check out that Eagle tomorrow. A small lift, aggressive tires, aux lighting and a roof rack would make it cool as hell :sonicjay:
either you buy and sell a ton of vehicles a year, or you talk about a lot of different vehicles you want to buy all year and still drive the same hoopty all year long.

Either way you sound like the neighbor kid in high school that bragged a lot about having a 1970 charger with a supercharger AND a blower, and having a 800 hp honda civic in his garage.

·
Bananarama!
14,144 Posts
I haven't done any of that but ok. I'll just discuss car shopping elsewhere even though quite a few people haven't minded the discussion on this dead forum.

We'll leave it to you to bring conversations that interest others Lousypirate.

·
Old School
33,020 Posts
Let me rephrase... I still like different or interesting vehicles :sonicjay: An Accord is not that.

I'm going to check out that Eagle tomorrow. A small lift, aggressive tires, aux lighting and a roof rack would make it cool as hell :sonicjay:
As cool as the Eagle would be, I'm old enough to remember when they were cheap and plentiful.....and they were cheap because they were absolute piles of shit. Electronic ignition made from bastardized Ford and Chrysler parts, differentials that would explode when given more than half throttle in the snow, dash wiring that would regularly release smoke, collapsing lifters that would let the push rods fall out..... oh, and the rust.....

Just get something boring and reliable. Sitting by the side of the road in a broken 'cool' car is no fun, especially with a toddler.

·
Bananarama!
14,144 Posts
As cool as the Eagle would be, I'm old enough to remember when they were cheap and plentiful.....and they were cheap because they were absolute piles of shit. Electronic ignition made from bastardized Ford and Chrysler parts, differentials that would explode when given more than half throttle in the snow, dash wiring that would regularly release smoke, collapsing lifters that would let the push rods fall out..... oh, and the rust.....

Just get something boring and reliable. Sitting by the side of the road in a broken 'cool' car is no fun, especially with a toddler.
This is the information I needed. Eagle is no longer an option.

We better stop talking about it though. Apparently discussing four wheel drive vehicles on a forum dedicated to four wheel drive vehicles is a no go.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts

I disagree with this a little. The 4.2 was well sorted in the 80's, but like everything 80's there were bad ones. The drive trains are readily upgraded with later YJ and TJ parts. If it's lower miles and little rust I'd jump on it in the 1500 range because they have actually been going up in value too.

Rust was an issue just like Scouts, cheap steel.

·
Old School
33,020 Posts
I disagree with this a little. The 4.2 was well sorted in the 80's, but like everything 80's there were bad ones. The drive trains are readily upgraded with later YJ and TJ parts. If it's lower miles and little rust I'd jump on it in the 1500 range because they have actually been going up in value too.

Rust was an issue just like Scouts, cheap steel.
I had 2 AMC Spirits, one 2wd, one 4wd, they both would spit out pushrods. The 2wd one was a freebie from a neighbor, his mechanic told him the engine was junk. Took me a half hour to get the pushrod in place, mostly because it took 15 minutes to move all the crap off the cheesy plastic valve cover. Car ran great, but every 3 months it would spit out the same pushrod.

Went through the trouble of replacing the lifters on the 4x4 version, grenaded the front axle in the snow. What an pain in the ass to swap out (IFS). Shortly after, it developed a lean that I thought was a weak spring, but was actually the unibody collapsing up front.

They are cool, but the only way I would get another is to get a rust free desert car, and do an SAS. That front diff is made of hopes and wishes.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
I can't do a Buick unless it's a G Body Regal.

I just... can't... :sonicjay:

Found a 1986 AMC Eagle wagon with low miles and looks to be in pretty good shape. The seller is the deceased owner's sister and she is just trying to sell it off. Could be fun as hell as a beater. 4.2L
Just saying. A buick is a smart move, they last forever, are very comfy to drive, and parts are cheap and plentiful.

The cars themselves are cheap and pletniful. How many cars can you look at in great shape, decent miles, priced at $2,500, and it's still fro sale because there is 2 others just like it, as nice and as low miles, but priced cheaper?

If you really needed/wanted a reliable vehicle. That'd be the route you'd go.

·
Whoop Whoop
17,241 Posts
I haven't done any of that but ok. I'll just discuss car shopping elsewhere even though quite a few people haven't minded the discussion on this dead forum.

We'll leave it to you to bring conversations that interest others Lousypirate.
I don't mind the conversation, but I just can't help but notice that you're always talking big game about how you're going to get new:

1. vehicles
2. jobs/career
3. guns
4. computers

You just seem very indecisive about your wants, needs, and the balance between both of those versus investment.

Almost as bad as @BlooMule's denial about needing to take a new job elsewhere

All that being said, I've had an eagle wagon, but more specifically the sx4 coupe on my bucket list for about 10 years now.

With the manual, louvres and spoiler required.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
I hate when I find something on Amazon or the web in general and then when I go to re-find it, it's gone. Forever.

·
Old School
33,020 Posts
I don't mind the conversation, but I just can't help but notice that you're always talking big game about how you're going to get new:

1. vehicles
2. jobs/career
3. guns
4. computers

You just seem very indecisive about your wants, needs, and the balance between both of those versus investment.

Almost as bad as @BlooMule's denial about needing to take a new job elsewhere

All that being said, I've had an eagle wagon, but more specifically the sx4 coupe on my bucket list for about 10 years now.

With the manual, louvres and spoiler required.
If you add rust instead of wheel flares, that would look identical to the one I had.

BTW- I don't deny I need to get a new job. Just having difficulty actually getting someone to call me back.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,106 Posts
Naw I bought it used back around 1990. I don't think we had it more than a year or so. It was a tan wagon. Doubt we have any pics.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,013 Posts
Motorcycle is street legal :nana: now I can put 200 miles on it and wait for the previous owner to come over so he can hit 50K on it :sonicjay:

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,013 Posts
Credit acceptance sucks ass. I guess I missed the word "may" in the contract.
Read the fine print. I owe them $1100, but I am paying interest on 2,600 because that is what I would owe if I didn't pay ahead. The contract says I "may" be eligible for a refund at the end. Customer service supervisor tried to talk at me like they were saving me money because of the interest I won't pay the last year of the loan since it will be paid off. Also she basically told me that I won't get a refund. We are only talking about $100-150, but that is not the point.

·
Old School
33,020 Posts
I got a call from some jokers like that, telling me how much I would save over 'paying the minimum each month'. The only cards I am paying close to minimum are the 0% cards, and I pay twice the minimum each month. Then the kicker, they wanted me to pay $850 for the service.

nope.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,013 Posts
I got a call from some jokers like that, telling me how much I would save over 'paying the minimum each month'. The only cards I am paying close to minimum are the 0% cards, and I pay twice the minimum each month. Then the kicker, they wanted me to pay $850 for the service.

nope.
Sad thing is they get poor suckered to fall for it, mostly the elderly. They got my grandma and two years later she told $50 less than before, f****** disgusting

61421 - 61440 of 65111 Posts