Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering.....will a rim off a older, say 80's Dodge half ton go on a 96 half ton?

I wanna borrow someones tires...just really don't want to go through the trouble of mounting and all that jazz.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
gotta watch this...
some of those old 80s dodges had 5x4.5, forget the year breaks and stuff
then they switched back to 5x5.5 at some point which is what your 96 is...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There might be an issue with the calipers hitting the rims. I dunno for sure, but you might want to look, and see what you have for clearance.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Dodge used 5 on 4 1/2" back in the mid to late 70's, and 80 only, IIRC (with the 203). The bolt pattern is the same 5 on 5 1/2" for the rest of the '80s, but the '96 has about 1 1/2" more backspacing, and most likely is a 16" wheel. I'm not sure if 15s will fit on a '96. I have been told the center register is smaller on the '96 as well, but I haven't personally checked that.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shit...forgot about the 16 inch rim. hmmm......gotta figure something out soon. I'm going to steal some tires soon and I want to make sure they'll fit.

:tonka:

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
yes my tires will fit dammit. cut them up at all and its your ass!

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
the 96-01 rams have 5x5.5 and will fit a 15" wheel i had both steel and aluminum on my ram at one point..

and as said before 81-95 rams 5x5.5 .. wheels will stick out a bit more due to the wider wms on the newer rams..

and i do remember something being funny about the center bore for the unit bearings.. cant remember if they ran small or if they ran large.. but i never had problems with any of the wheels i ran :/

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
doubtful....try it...I know they fit on craigs black truck, but they rubbed at full lock

·
keep your stick onthe ice
907 Posts
if you cut the front bumper area. I think jons will probly rub on your truck as they are 13" wide and sit out a lot wider cant remember if that is more or less offset

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
muddybawls said:
New question....

Will 33's fit a stock 96 1500? :tonka:
with the right backspacing they will.. problem is when the wheel turns into the fender area by the door.. bumper is not a problem..

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
I don't need it to turn sharp. Needs to go 2 runs in the mud drags.
than it shouldnt be a problem i borrowed my friends 33x12.5 TSLs on wagon wheels with a ton of backspacing back when i did a couple silver lake runs with my ram when it was stock .. worked fine (till i did test hill and WOT and at the top turned left/right for some reason and took a lug off one :tonka: )

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
YES ! i know for a fact that 35's with fit that body style with no lift and minimal rubbing..
Bullshit. 315's rubbed significantly before lock on my 2500 when it was sitting level.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts