Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gustafson
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle is (apparently) tired of asking to use my truck and has decided he wants to purchase a used Ram 1500. He leased them years ago and always liked the way they road and towed, but I am skeptical about long term reliability on one of these.

Has anyone owned a 2009-2019 model and put a couple hundred thousand miles on one? Any major mechanical or rust issues?

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I had 170,000 on my 2013 when I sold it. The only thing I glad to do was brakes and one sensor. I work with two guys one has a 2013 with just over 100k . He said just brakes and a transmission module. He couldn't remember the name but he said it cost him $300 at a trans shop. The other guy has a 2014 with 108,000. Just Brakes and o2 sensor.

·
Skymaster
2,526 Posts
Don't know the exact year range but the big thing on the ram pages with the 4th gen rams is manifold studs breaking and also they like to eat cams/lifters

·
Durango-space-division
4,609 Posts
Manifold studs and lifter failure are common issues on the Hemis. 2013+ are the ones to get, the 8 speed is absolutely awesome. Go test drive a pentastar v6 model too, they are plenty powerful with the 8 speed paired to it. Avoid the ecodiesel and/or air suspension at all costs.

·
Red Dragons!
1,995 Posts
Alex pretty much hit it on the head. Plan on manifold bolts. I haven’t seen any rhyme or reason for the lifter issue. If you catch it soon enough, you can get by with lifters only. But the heads have to come off to replace lifters. Good time to replace the manifold bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts