1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 10, 2007

Filed at 6:39 p.m. ET

ERIE, Pa. (AP) -- An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the ''most remarkable'' water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to
desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat
cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the
most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has held demonstrations at his
State College lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

The discovery is ''the most remarkable in water science in 100 years,'' Roy
said.

''This is the most abundant element in the world. It is everywhere,'' Roy said.
''Seeing it burn gives me the chills.''

Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the
Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.

The scientists want to find out whether the energy output from the burning
hydrogen -- which reached a heat of more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit -- would be enough to power a car or other heavy machinery.

''We will get our ideas together and check this out and see where it leads,''
Roy said. ''The potential is huge.''

Information from: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,
http://www.post-gazette.com

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
So lets get off the corn is our savor banwagon and jump on the saltwater burning bandwagon!!! Who's with me!!!

Actually that is very cool! :woot:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the
Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.
he's gonna be dead of "food poisoning" or some other "accidental death" within a week. :(

wasn't there a video on the net about a guy in the 70's or 80's who had a car that ran on water and he mysteriously died shortly after, and then a couple years ago there was another guy with the same invention, and he also disapeared or something.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4gOS8aoFk

originally posted by Kuma:

Water = Hydrogen and Oxygen. Burn them, you get water. That's about as clean as it gets, and the energy return is nice enough to warrant its use as space shuttle propellant.

Salt = Sodium and Chlorine, two of the most toxic elements in existence. Toss pure sodium (or potassium, or lithium) into water, and you get an explosion as it turns into sodium (or potassium, or lithium) hydroxide, a relatively innocuous powdery substance, but a decent amount of energy is released.

Chlorine is a problem, though. It will kill you. It destroys organic material in its pure form. Not only will you have to line the entire "engine" with teflon to keep the chlorine from eating away at the internal parts, you'll have to find some way to prevent its release into the air we have to breathe.

I think Jay might be on to something. A power plant could connect directly to a massive body of saltwater, and already has a ready supply of electricity. What we really need to see is whether this retuns more energy than you put into it. Does it work on a large scale? How pure does your saltwater have to be? What's the optimum salinity? What kind of wattage does your radiowave generator require, and how does this increase in ratio to the amount of saltwater being burned?

The guy in the video seems to be somewhat of a crackpot to me. His theories on cancer treatment were suspect, as were his constructions. Is his radiowave generator simply separating the sodium from the chlorine, causing it to spontaneously combust with the water? I don't really think anyone understands what's going on with this reaction, but I'm guarded against getting my hopes up. It might turn out to be a neat trick, like Mentos in Diet Coke.

Chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide powder would be pretty bad, actually. Carbon monoxide might asphyxiate you, but chlorine will melt your skin and lungs...and also asphyxiate you.

Still and all, the amounts are what matters. The actual chlorine content of salt water in ratio to the hydrogen and oxygen is pretty small, depending on salinity. I just want to see an analysis.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
that raises an interesting point. Home come it has to be salt water, why not fresh water ?

Fresh water has hydrogen and oxygen in it; Unless maybe he is using salt water as his focus for it's abundance.

Salt water should have any different chemical structure, it is just minerals in suspension, not in the chemical composition of the water, right ?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
There are viable ways to create power from seawater, this isn't one of them.

Sova, you think like a typical leftie, think about it from the other perspective for once. The world needs sodium and chrlorine, the byproducts could be refined and used not dumped.

But it ain't going to work, it takes a ton of energy to break that bond, more than you'll get out of it.

Use heat pump setups in the tropics, thats a viable way to get power.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
There are viable ways to create power from seawater, this isn't one of them.

Sova, you think like a typical leftie, think about it from the other perspective for once. The world needs sodium and chrlorine, the byproducts could be refined and used not dumped.

But it ain't going to work, it takes a ton of energy to break that bond, more than you'll get out of it.

Use heat pump setups in the tropics, thats a viable way to get power.
i didn't write that, just posted it from another site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts