Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
:insert something witty:
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, might sound like a strange question, but who is running a radiator with no shroud, and how much space is there between the fan and radiator??

I'm working on my "swap a 4.3 Chevy into a YJ" project, and am having a few hiccups with cooling. I'm going to try and use the stock 4.2 YJ radiator, but it is about 12" from the radiator to the clutch fan, and I'm not sure how it will cool.

I've got a few ideas on how to make a shroud for it, but would rather use just the radiator if it is possible.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
use a electric fan....otherwise they do make spacers for the fan..another option is use the chevy rad and bring it back twards the motor some

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
if you use a the fan and not the electric you should shroud it for safety and to direct the sir flow to keep it cool

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do electric fans handle if they get wet or muddy? Are there certain electric fans that fit a YJ better? What about airflow, are their different ratings?

I can't bring the chevy rad back easily - it would sit on the steering shaft. As to the spacer on the stock fan, I think that it would be a little too long to run safely.

I'm really not worried about the safety factor of the fan shroud (haven't yet stuck my hand into a running fan - I'm pretty careful about that kind of stuff), but the cooling aspect of it. I have an old plastic 30gal barrel that would fit around the fan, and I could bolt it to the end of the stock jeep shroud and make some sort of mounts for the other end of it (too heavy to just let it float), but would rather not have to resort to that.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a flex lite fan with an aluminum radiator with a cut off switch. You can find a Taurus 3 wire electric fan fairly cheap at a junkyard. Pirate has alot of info and write ups on this as well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
electric will be the best route for you. With 12 inch's between fan and rad it will a challenge to have a constant cool air flow pulled across the radiator to the engine bay and if your intake is pulling air from under the hood it will benifit from the outside air a shroud will provide...good luck

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, got the stock YJ radiator and shroud installed, and there is only about 6 or 8 inches between the fan and shroud. I think I'm going to either put in a few inch spacer on the fan, or try running it just as is to see what happens. I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge, and if it looks like it is heating up, I'll just have a slightly longer ride home from wherever I am while it cools back down. If neither option works, I'll have to get an electric fan later on.

Thanks for the helpful tips!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts