Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 89 XJ a couple weeks ago and I've never owned one before so I'm just learning. I have to replace the wheelbearings up front and the ujoints. Can I put 96 or newer axle shafts with the larger ujoints in it or do I have to stick with the smaller ujoints from the older ones? What year did they change the wheel bearing units?
Thanks

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Search Jeep Tech for "unit bearing".
Yea, that works real well. Dickhead.

No you can't. The d-30 front bearings switched in I think 92. They switched to a smaller hole in the knuckle. Now, if you wanted to, you could swap the entire knuckle and everything attached to it. You would need the new rotor, caliper...etc. Everything on the knuckle.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
well while they're arguing, here's what you can do.

buy 89 bearings, but use 96 axle shafts with the bigger u-joints. do you know if you have a vacuum disconnect front axle or not??? if it is a vacuum disconnect front axle, then you have to either stick with the 2 piece 89 axle shaft, or convert it to accept the 96 axle shaft.

converting it sounds and look alot more complicated than it really is. all in all, it'll cost you whatever the new different axle seal will cost, some gear lube and a roll of gasket maker and 1 expanding rubber plug. so that's like what..........$40 for a better axle/u-joint upgrade.

PS: my wifes 97wrangler has a 89XJ front axle in it that used to have the vacuum disconnect. i used the 89XJ axle housing, and used the 97 knuckles and axles. the only reason i used the 97 knuckles is because i took the knuckles off the 89 to do the balljoints, and then decided to put the 97 parts back on, so it would be easier to remember what parts to buy for her jeep.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Scorpio, that's the information I needed. I was figuring I would have to stick with the 89 unit bearings, but going to the larger ujoint would be a good plus for me. Yes, I do have vacuum disconnect. I've had 3 CJ7s and this is my first XJ so I'm on a little learning curve as I begin the build.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
that there is why cc considers you a "******" and so does most of the board
Well then ******* must be pretty helpful people. :thumb:

1. I showed him exactly how to find something in a specific forum.
  2. Muddypaws apparently can't find a thread using the search function, even when provided with exact words from the title and I'm somehow a dickhead because he's "search challenged".
  3. The link I posted was directly related to his question regarding what years the unit bearings changed.
  4. You're an idiot.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
pavementpounder may seem harsh but you give a man a fish he will eat for a day now give him your wife and he will fuck the shit out her.

pavementpounder you did a nice job teaching him how to use the site. rock on.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know how to use the search functions and I know PP pretty well between the two of us buying and selling from each other the past few years. I just got tired of looking for the thread I was looking for after I got to page 15 doing a search for "unit bearing". I don't know what page that thread is actually on, but it's over a year old and I could have spent hours looking through individual threads to find the one with the answer. I have no problem with Mark's answer at all. Now I'll let all of you go back to cracking on each other.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Fuck you PP...your old ass thread is on page fucking 9 of the god damn search you cock muncher.

After all 8 and half pages of:

tranny started spitting fluid
96 GC Dash vents don't flow air, only floor/defrost
Headlight Options. Where do I get some NOW~!

Bullshit.

If you knew YOU made a tech post like that, why not just pop a search in for YOUR posts only and find it and post the link? Why? Because you are a dick licking monkey fucker.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Now we get to the problem....see while you were trying to "teach" him, you omitted that important step in the process. You are an ineffective teacher.

Either that or you are a big cock sucker....prolly just a cock sucker.

With all the fucking typing you have done, you could have simply posted an answer to his question. But no, you can't do that, you have to be a fuckstick.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
"I" search fine...the guy with 300 posts might not be able to. Do you not see this? How stupid are you?

You told him "Search Jeep Tech for "unit bearing"."

If he does that, just as you say, he finds a gazillion posts that have nothing to do with anything. Again, all you had to do was post a link to the thread.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
"I" search fine...the guy with 300 posts might not be able to. Do you not see this? How stupid are you?

You told him "Search Jeep Tech for "unit bearing"."

If he does that, just as you say, he finds a gazillion posts that have nothing to do with anything. Again, all you had to do was post a link to the thread.

Do you not see this?

I have no problem with Mark's answer at all.
How about you worry about yourself and go find someplace else to bitch for people who don't have a problem?

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Do you not see this?
Guess you didn't see the rest where he also said he did that and it didn't fucking help.

How about you worry about yourself and go find someplace else to bitch for people who don't have a problem?
Because you could have simply posted a link to the damn thread. Do you not see that? I guess not...it's just the kind of person you are.:stan3:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I did see the rest. I read the part where he got to page 15. That means he overlooked it since you found it a lot sooner. It doesn't matter where it was. The search pulled up the answer, as well as a lot of other shit about unit bearings. Arguing against educating someone is ignorance - especially when you're a teacher.

I could have given him the exact link, but now he knows better and that's something you'll convince anyone to be a mistake. Then he would not have gotten any more proficient at searching. How about you not worry about me helping people and go help yourself be less of a dumbass.

Second hit right here using the other search functrion. Maybe you should have thought to use GL's Google functionality. Seriously, all you're going to do by chasing me around the board is piss yourself off. It not my fault that I'm better at using the site's tools than you, but at least you'll remember that every time you do an Advanced Search with what you learned here from now on. :thumb: :sonicjay:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Well then ******* must be pretty helpful people. :thumb:

1. I showed him exactly how to find something in a specific forum.
  2. Muddypaws apparently can't find a thread using the search function, even when provided with exact words from the title and I'm somehow a dickhead because he's "search challenged".
  3. The link I posted was directly related to his question regarding what years the unit bearings changed.
  4. You're an idiot.
I agree with number 4.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
jesusmutherfukinggoddamnchrist how is all this stupid arguing answering any of the mans questions.

yes search is a good thing to use. yes sometimes people can't find stuff. yes search can suck donkeydick at times.

WHOGIVESAFLYINGCOCKSUCKINGRATSMOTHAFUCKINGASS???

so far there are 19replies and only 1 actually answered the mans question.

jeasusfuckingchrist did everybody wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or is it "that time a month" for the whole board???

:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts