Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Doctor begins with D.O.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so apparently there is a house for sale in the Dryden area for $492,000. It is on 20 acres and has a 1600 sq. ft. house and a 3 stall horse barn. According to my friend, the person selling the house is out of her mind for asking that much, and that there is NO ONE who wants to take care of 20 acres anymore.

I figured that is was a pretty high asking price, but if the seller wanted to make any money after all the counter-offering that the price was ok.

What do you think?
Is the lady stupid for asking that much for a place in Dryden?
Do you know anyone who would want 20 acres of land?

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
I'm confused with your wording of the question, but--

I'd make an offer...can't hurt.

My cousin just bought a house in Plymouth. It was listed at 245,000 and they offered 179,000 and they took it.

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
Buy it

·
Chrome Trucker Chicks Rul
3,217 Posts
20 acres is nice

make low offer

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Dryden, if you are inthe right area, is kinda pricey. Near Devil's Ridge, its the area that many exec's move to live in the country.

Bare land is ~$20k per acre in that area.

In the sub where my property is, they are 5-6 acre lots, the houses in there (high 2000s in sq ft) are in the mid $400s-$500, for farmhouse styles.

It doesn't sound unreasonble, based on the land size.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
But, aside from t hat, sure, plenty of people like land.

I've got 1 acre at the current house, 2 acres at the new house, and 6 acres on our property.

MY parents have 20 acres at their current place, which 10+ acres are groomed lawn on lake huron frontage. Then their other place near Lapeer is 50 acres, with about 5 acres of lawn/meadow.

It rocks having lots of land...

·
Doctor begins with D.O.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dryden, if you are inthe right area, is kinda pricey. Near Devil's Ridge, its the area that many exec's move to live in the country.

Bare land is ~$20k per acre in that area.

In the sub where my property is, they are 5-6 acre lots, the houses in there (high 2000s in sq ft) are in the mid $400s-$500, for farmhouse styles.

It doesn't sound unreasonble, based on the land size.
see thats what I thought, but my friend says I have no idea what I am talking about and that no one wants that much land...especially not for that price. But whatever.

I personally don't want to but the place, but my friend does. Well let me get that straight..she wants her parents to buy it so she can live there with her horse. she's 23.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
It doesn't cost anything to take care of 20 acres unless you have a golf course on it. The cost is all in the taxes you have to pay to own the land.

So i don't know what you mean by taking care of 20 acres. I would like land in the 500+ acre range.

·
Doctor begins with D.O.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It doesn't cost anything to take care of 20 acres unless you have a golf course on it. The cost is all in the taxes you have to pay to own the land.

So i don't know what you mean by taking care of 20 acres. I would like land in the 500+ acre range.
I was referring to the mowing, and de-weeding and all that. Which I don't think is that hard to do, but my friend seems to think it's hard.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I was referring to the mowing, and de-weeding and all that. Which I don't think is that hard to do, but my friend seems to think it's hard.
Someone planted 20 acres of grass? If they did then yes mowing the lawn would take a good day of drinking.

I have several friends with over 20 acres but they don't have grass they have trees. Maintenance on treed acreage is minimal, we go in and rake the trails once a year.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Dryden area.. or how popular it is.. but if that land is in a potential area for a neighborhood, or could be zoned for business.. they could easily ask that much.

I've got a friend sitting on 50 acres, with a tiny little house on it and a barn, and they want like $6 million cause its in a primetime area for a business/neighborhood to buy, in an expanding town.

-Brandon

1 - 20 of 36 Posts