Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
German cars are hot
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that having to fire a lot of people means that you are a bad manager or aren’t looking for the right qualifications?

I used to think that having to fire a lot of people made you a bad manager. I thought it meant that the manager wasn’t mentoring and training very well. I personally have had to let a lot of people go in the last three months and it has been bothering me.

It is even weirder and scarier now days letting go of people who are a touch off…..

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
I would say a little of both but more on the qualification/people person side of the issue.

·
German cars are hot
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also wonder if in my case it isnt because the agencies are not giving me the best candidates and or making candidates seem overqualified. I dont have the same turn over rate with employees.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
depends on the situation. but definitly refelcts on the manager, good or bad.

maybe it's the management/leadership style you are taking. you could try another aproach with different people.

totally depends on the relationships you have with your employees and the situations (general)...

that wasnt much help.

but I don't think you will get an answer here...there are way to many variables...

why do you have to fire (I think the PC term now is "let go") your employees?

·
The Biohazards
4,147 Posts
Being that I work in the same place and first hand have had to interact with the people in question.... I would have fired them alot sooner than you did... like a week tops.

·
German cars are hot
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
depends on the situation. but definitly refelcts on the manager, good or bad.

maybe it's the management/leadership style you are taking. you could try another aproach with different people.

totally depends on the relationships you have with your employees and the situations (general)...

that wasnt much help.

but I don't think you will get an answer here...there are way to many variables...

why do you have to fire (I think the PC term now is "let go") your employees?
I didnt think I would find an answer. I just needed to vent and hear what other managers had to say.

·
German cars are hot
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being that I work in the same place and first hand have had to interact with the people in question.... I would have fired them alot sooner than you did... like a week tops.
I am going to make you my hatchet man. :woot:

Actually I always try to give people a chance to work out. Although Bill I think at one point or another you would have fired everyone.. :stan:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I am going to make you my hatchet man. :woot:

Actually I always try to give people a chance to work out. Although Bill I think at one point or another you would have fired everyone.. :stan:
what kind of business is it, if they're sales people it's totally different than something you have no control over like a supply and demand situation ie automotive industry.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
It sounds like it could be possible you are not hiring the right people to begin with, is there any way to test people better as to whether they will be a fit?

It wouldn't hurt to expand the interview process to get some 2nd and 3rd opinions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definately doing a test at time of interview helps me. I test them on subject matter knowledge and writing skills.
Hiring from temp agencies is never fun though. I've found not to approach these interviews any differently then I would for a permanent employee - it has helped in the number I need to let go.
As far as not enough mentoring, etc, possibly, I don't work with you; therefore, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. The thing I try to remember when training/explaining, is 3 methods of delivery. Talk them through it (including how the piece they are performing fits into the bigger picture), show them how to do it & provide a written procedure. Have them practice a few times with you there. After that... 'let them go'.

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
I managed a maintainence garage for a big sawmill operation for 4 years, I was a "working supervisor", worked alongside all my techs. I took all of the management training courses offered. I went through eleven mechanics in four years. Get out of management asap.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I used to be a manager at a auto parts distributor/ parts store. I would try to find out how to use the individuals skills to mine and theirs advantage, some people are not social and would work like hell , others try hard but are not the best but they have great attitudes and that is also a plus for the work place, when you get a lazy ass with a bad attitude you have to fire them quick because it will affect the whole companies morale to a point, it is hard to wade through the Bull in the resumes and get a good worker. There is usually a reason they have worked for 10 people in the last 6 months . I personally never gave a half a shit about a degree being needed for most positions when real life training and experience is worth alot more in my book. I don't know what kind of business you do but from my experience the manager usually does not effect the worker it is their own personal ambition and learning from their coworkers.

·
Not Right!
1,472 Posts
sounds like someone is doing warm body interviews.
x2. Weed out more on the front end, so you are not wasting time (and $$$) after the fact. Find the attributes you are looking for in an employee. Ask yourself for the #1,2,3 reason why you shit canned the others and be cautious of those same problem traits when hiring new peeps.
I have over 200 employees and 21 location managers working for me and hiring based on personality, trait, work ethic, etc. works better than experience on paper almost every time. I have had WAY better success hiring people with a great personality and work ethic over years of experience.
The shit always looks good on paper and too many times isn't worth wiping your a$$ with it after they start working.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
IT body shops lie about (OK, "present in the best possible light") qualifications, their understanding of which is developed from already enhanced "road whore" resumes/portfolios. Bullshit squared.

A thorough, face-to-face up-front interview/screening is necessary, followed up by a probationary period. That way you seperate teh whet from the cahff up front and thin out anybody that made it through who shouldn't have.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts