Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the hell does everyone drive on the white line down the right side of the road? After a week of seeing this I couldn't figure it out. Is it the huge logging trucks that make you do it? I know the dump trucks on South Boundry Rd. by the Porkies didn't like to move over. then again, the road was closed.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
All it takes is seeing one good head-on crash, then you hug that white line.

That and everyone has at least one OUIL..

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If I'm going to cross a line, I'd rather cross a white line and probably not hit anything than cross a yellow line and hit a car...

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
It's so you can come up on them at 85 and see oncoming traffic with out riding their ass and sticking your nose out there a million times.

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's so you can come up on them at 85 and see oncoming traffic with out riding their ass and sticking your nose out there a million times.
:thumb: Kinda figured it to be something like that.

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mlije, it says you're in Houghton. When the wife and I stayed it Houghton I ouldn't help but notice that Mt. Ripley right there. How many crazy/stupid college kids get messed-up on that hill trying to ride a mountain bike down it?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Not too terribly sure, I've always wanted to take my dirt bike up it though.

There are a LOT of nice mountain bike trails right here in Houghton, so I think those keep most people occupied enough that they don't go down Ripley.

I think a guy got killed skiing there like my freshman or sophomore year though, don't remember exactly when, maybe SquirrelWJ will remember.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,754 Posts
Rattler said:
Why the hell does everyone drive on the white line down the right side of the road? After a week of seeing this I couldn't figure it out. Is it the huge logging trucks that make you do it? I know the dump trucks on South Boundry Rd. by the Porkies didn't like to move over. then again, the road was closed.
You know its perfectly acceptable to pass on the right hand side of the road in parts of the UP right? I mean even the cops and school busses do it so it can't be so bad.

Not too terribly sure, I've always wanted to take my dirt bike up it though.

There are a LOT of nice mountain bike trails right here in Houghton, so I think those keep most people occupied enough that they don't go down Ripley.

I think a guy got killed skiing there like my freshman or sophomore year though, don't remember exactly when, maybe SquirrelWJ will remember.
They do let you ride down it summer and winter. I've even seen guys with dirt jumper bikes play on the table tops during the winter.
*edit* These are pictures of one of my senior design members from college biking on the hill in early march.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You callin' me old? "Oh, he's been up there for forever, he'll know"

Bastard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts