Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didn't wanna be rude and hi-jack a certain other thread.

but i seem to hear and read alot about people rolling their vehicles at the dunes. what is so dangerous about the dunes that people are rolling so much.

somehow i got a feeling the answer is simply "hey i hear the dunes are cool, so i'm going to check it out even though i can't drive worth a damn".

is that basically what it comes down to???

i always tell people: "just because you can keep it between the lines doesn't mean you know how to drive".

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The thing people need to remember or need to know....do not to ride the brakes while going down a hill.

42,950 Posts
umm, people get sideways because their idiots. You can only roll a vehicle at the dunes three ways.

Backing up fast after a failed hill climb, getting sideways, rolling.

Jumping a hill and landing on your front bumper.

driving up a steep sand hill, and impressing your friends by making a u-turn at the top. People sometimes will over turn, instead of aiming straight down and as soon as they over turn with the added speed of going down the hill, they turn into a tumbleweed.

I've seen all three happen, and I've only been the idiot to land on the front bumper.

that hurts

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
umm, people get sideways because their idiots. You can only roll a vehicle at the dunes three ways.

driving up a steep sand hill, and impressing your friends by making a u-turn at the top.

I've seen all three happen, and I've only been the idiot to land on the front bumper.

that hurts
You forgot doing donuts, losing a bead when turning while going too fast, and basically losing control of your vehicle (which applies to all 3 of yours above).

·
Snowman
3,176 Posts

driving up a steep sand hill, and impressing your friends by making a u-turn at the top.

that hurts

I've seen all three. My buddy has been number three. It came so close to tipping, the passenger in the back had to get ot the drivers side while a vehicle with a winch attached itself to his Jeep so it wouldn't roll.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Though I don't, mainly for the free fall roller coaster effect I get, why would you not want to ride the brakes downhill?
You get sideways, then gravity can cause you to roll over on the side if you don't know what you are doing. I've seen people ride their brakes down test hill, get completely sideways, and almost roll over on the side people people started yelling at him to gas it instead of riding the breaks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The dunes change sooooo much soooo fast. One day the back side of a hill will be very mild....the next a 6 foot drop right from the top. People ASSUME it will be the same as the last time they were there and thats just not the case. I think that is the biggest reason of all....

·
Full Size Chevy
346 Posts
The thing people need to remember or need to know....do not to ride the brakes while going down a hill.
x2! The back end tries playing catch up with the front of the vehicle.

People also do not watch out what they're doing up there.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so basically it does come down to people not knowing how to drive and not using common sense.

that's what i though. i just somehow couldn't see there being little invisible launch pads that just happen to throw you up and over while you're just inocently driving around. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I had my Jeep end over over test hill. The funny thing was I had come to a complete stop. We were the first ones up on Oct 31st 1993. The night before there had been a lot of wind. The back side of test hill had deep ravines in it and steep drop offs. I stopped at the edge of one of the steep drop offs and the sand just kept moving pulling me over. I have only seen the dunes like this one other time. Makes you think twice about being first after a night of wind. Had I been thinking I would have put my foot on the skinny pedal and probably wouldn't have rolled.:poke: But most serious accidents come from people not using there head or not caring what the end result could be.:chauncy:

·
hicktown
2,433 Posts
ok i havnt rolled anything in the dunes i had a buudy that when why to fast over mt. baldy and nrolled his 01 f-150 i will naver jump a hill again

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
ok i havnt rolled anything in the dunes i had a buudy that when why to fast over mt. baldy and nrolled his 01 f-150 i will naver jump a hill again
So was he in the hill climb competition? Since thats the only time that Mt. Baldy is open.:poke:

·
Insomniac
1,117 Posts
Another thing to remember, if you try climbing up a hill and can't make it, don't put it in neutral and ride the brakes down backwards. You tend to drag the front end, and it gets out of line and flip-flip-flip. Put it in reverse and let it idle down. You might still have to hit the brakes some, but more control. Your reverse is your lowest gear ratio (usually), so use it to your advantage.

Don't go blasting over any crests (even small ones) until you have ridden around once and checked things over, or talked to someone who has. You can come up on ravines very suddenly, so just be prepared.

Air down (obviously), and I highly recommend NOT trying to ride across the face of dunes or turning around. As stated above, that's where a lot of people become Jack and Jill.

·
hicktown
2,433 Posts
So was he in the hill climb competition? Since thats the only time that Mt. Baldy is open.:poke:
yup he was i was ridding we when home and picked up are tailer to come bake for it what a nightmegit the truck was fuck good also my friend james rolled his good when he was driving over fronen dunes this sring off exit hill when sideways down back side of the hill onh that hart but i rolled my yj one time to so i'm no better:chiefwoohaw:

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
yup he was i was ridding we when home and picked up are tailer to come bake for it what a nightmegit the truck was fuck good also my friend james rolled his good when he was driving over fronen dunes this sring off exit hill when sideways down back side of the hill onh that hart but i rolled my yj one time to so i'm no better:chiefwoohaw:
Dude...GED...it'll help I promise

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
i didn't wanna be rude and hi-jack a certain other thread.

but i seem to hear and read alot about people rolling their vehicles at the dunes. what is so dangerous about the dunes that people are rolling so much.

somehow i got a feeling the answer is simply "hey i hear the dunes are cool, so i'm going to check it out even though i can't drive worth a damn".

is that basically what it comes down to???

i always tell people: "just because you can keep it between the lines doesn't mean you know how to drive".
I think what it boils down to is, common sense. If you have that I think you will be ok. If you have never been there putt around on the smaller hills before hitting the bigger ones. And maybe, just maybe, alcohol may have played a role in some of the roll overs but i could be wrong. What do I know!

·
Get Up and Go
2,576 Posts
Not enough respect for what you are doing.

Off road sports are inherently dangerous. Not everyone takes them seriously enough.

Tourists or any other first timers have not learned the respect needed.

Experienced people realize that even with the respect in hand a minor glitch or a momentary lack of attention and disaster can strike.

Oh, and riding your brakes down hill is not a good idea because locked up wheels do not run very well. Keep rolling, keep control. Down shift. Or if really steep, 4lo and roll.....straight down.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts