Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know when i was in baldwin they were talking about the law soon to pass for quad being able to ride the shoulder of the roads to the town. does anyone know if its true and if so what other countys? i suck at the internet i guess . thanks

·
done haulin
1,327 Posts
I got an $80.00 ticket in Columbus Twp. a few months ago.

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm i know in lake county its legal right out side of town im balwin there is a parking lot for them. to my knowledge you just cannot be on the road. just wondering

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
if you check under the land use and rules I have most of the county stuff listed. right now today you can ride the COUNTY roads in Cheboygon,Some of Iosco, Most of Ogemaw, all of Presque Isle, and all of Montmorency. theres been talk of more to come but everyones waiting on the new House bill 4323, its currently stalled in the senate.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,266 Posts
I know in newaygo county you can ride your sled down the shoulder in the winter time.

·
14,442 Posts
almost all the countys north of 61 are open to sleds. the problem is people think it applies to quads and that where we run into trouble.

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
i know when i was in baldwin they were talking about the law soon to pass for quad being able to ride the shoulder of the roads to the town. does anyone know if its true and if so what other countys? i suck at the internet i guess . thanks
As a former cop in Lake County, I can tell you without a doubt that is ILLEGAL to ride your ORV on the shoulder or anywhere else on the road right of way. As Yetti said, there are some counties in the Lower Peninsula that have passed county wide ordinances to allow ORV use on COUNTY roads. That means that you cannot operate on any state or federal highways (M-roads or US-roads/highways).

That said, I think the state is going to challenge this. I was speaking to a conservation officer the other day about this. Under the law, a local jurisdiction (County, City, Township or Village) can make an ordinance that is more STRICT than state law, but are not allowed under the law to make an ordinance that is LESS RESTRICTIVE than state law. According to my C.O. friend, he believes that the department (DNR) will challenge these ordinances in court.

I hope they don't. I really would like to ride my quad a few more places, especially in the U.P. and northern lower peninsula. The one thing we all need to do is know the law and FOLLOW it. A few "bad apples" always seem to ruin it for everybody.

·
14,442 Posts
Hombre I think the DNR guiy you speak of has his facts crossed. there is a law that is already in place that allows the countys of this state to open its road shoulders for use by ORVs, the problem is the Current law has been challenged by the Attorney generals aid. so with that the Rep from district 9 Joel Sheltrown has already got a bill pushed as far as the house to clarify the laws. its stalled in the senate by Sen. Birkholtz and she wants a more extensive study done so as to side line the bill. its been a long fight, but I hope we win.

by the way the DNR in this state seem to have a "I make the law as I see fit" attitude. it makes for a whole bunch of mad folks when they get boggis tickets from them.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Man, I should've read this thread an hour ago. I live in the middle of nowhere and was riding my quad down the road, on the shoulder. DNR pulled up behind me. I was already pulled over on private property when he came down the road, because I saw a car coming and stopped. He made me drive back to my house (which was like a a few hundred yards from where I was) to get my DL and to run my VIN. I think he was looking for a stolen quad...he ran the VIN on my quad. He gave me a citation for not having the current year ORV sticker.

I told him that I thought you could ride the quads on the side of the road. Then went on about how I thought it was in legislation and about potential riding trails somewhere in the thumb. The other DNR officer in the truck got out & chimed in and mentioned it was in Sanilac county but was a private club trying to get one started. Anyway, he didn't know anything about any laws riding on the side of the road.

He gave me a paper to get the sticker updated and that was it. At least he wasn't a cocky SOB. Maybe he was nice because I was wearing a flattering top that accented my boobs. :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Man, I should've read this thread an hour ago. I live in the middle of nowhere and was riding my quad down the road, on the shoulder. DNR pulled up behind me. I was already pulled over on private property when he came down the road, because I saw a car coming and stopped. He made me drive back to my house (which was like a a few hundred yards from where I was) to get my DL and to run my VIN. I think he was looking for a stolen quad...he ran the VIN on my quad. He gave me a citation for not having the current year ORV sticker.

I told him that I thought you could ride the quads on the side of the road. Then went on about how I thought it was in legislation and about potential riding trails somewhere in the thumb. The other DNR officer in the truck got out & chimed in and mentioned it was in Sanilac county but was a private club trying to get one started. Anyway, he didn't know anything about any laws riding on the side of the road.

He gave me a paper to get the sticker updated and that was it. At least he wasn't a cocky SOB. Maybe he was nice because I was wearing a flattering top that accented my boobs. :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:

WPWP

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I wore the same shirt that's the main pic in my MySpace profile. I'll let you do the digging. :tonka: :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:

·
14,442 Posts
I have to say your lucky. I have known people to get tickets that ran as high as $140. the trick about the ORV sticker is its only required if your operating on the frozen water of a lake or in the designated trail. its not a requirement of any road law.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have to say your lucky. I have known people to get tickets that ran as high as $140. the trick about the ORV sticker is its only required if your operating on the frozen water of a lake or in the designated trail. its not a requirement of any road law.
I could fight it on the fact that isn't required??? It's just weird....almost every neighbor in this neighbor has a quad and rides up & down the road and down the farm lanes. Guess I just had bad luck.

·
14,442 Posts
324.81102 Vehicles exempt from licensure provisions.

Sec. 81102.

(1) A vehicle registered under the code or a vehicle registered under part 801 is exempt from the licensure provisions of this part, unless the vehicle is operated as an ORV off highways, roadways, streets, and forest roads.

(2) An ORV operated solely on private property by the owner of the property, a family member of the owner, or an invited guest of the owner is exempt from the licensure provisions of this part.

this the part that gets me, if its illegal to operate on the roads in michigan then why does the laws say that you have to have sticker to operate in the road? I guess if I lived in the U.P. it would apply , but down here its just dumb.

·
14,442 Posts
I could fight it on the fact that isn't required??? It's just weird....almost every neighbor in this neighbor has a quad and rides up & down the road and down the farm lanes. Guess I just had bad luck.

but that agin is another problem. if you live where I think its all farms and the houses are a mile apart at the closest. so with that if your using a quad for "Farm use" its legal without a sticker.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=53047

read page 5 about halfway down. it even shows in the law where you should use a triangle in place of a flag 8' above the roadway.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
but that agin is another problem. if you live where I think its all farms and the houses are a mile apart at the closest. so with that if your using a quad for "Farm use" its legal without a sticker.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=53047

read page 5 about halfway down. it even shows in the law where you should use a triangle in place of a flag 8' above the roadway.
Well 1/4 mile of our road is paved, 3/4 mile it's dirt. 1/4 mile is where all the houses are, 3/4 mile there are 4 houses. 12 houses in 1/4 mile, including 2 trailer houses. 3/4 mile is mostly farm fields...farmer on the end has a huge pig farm.

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
Hombre I think the DNR guiy you speak of has his facts crossed. there is a law that is already in place that allows the countys of this state to open its road shoulders for use by ORVs, the problem is the Current law has been challenged by the Attorney generals aid. so with that the Rep from district 9 Joel Sheltrown has already got a bill pushed as far as the house to clarify the laws. its stalled in the senate by Sen. Birkholtz and she wants a more extensive study done so as to side line the bill. its been a long fight, but I hope we win.

by the way the DNR in this state seem to have a "I make the law as I see fit" attitude. it makes for a whole bunch of mad folks when they get boggis tickets from them.
Specifically, we were talking about the law you speak of. 324.81131
Their argument (the state's) is that the law is unconstitutional. The state constitution does not allow local jursidictions to create laws that are less restrictive than state law. Essentially, that is what this law does.

·
14,442 Posts
so I take you are not a farmer? if not you should get a job with one and then its 100% legal to use the quad for the job.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
so I take you are not a farmer? if not you should get a job with one and then its 100% legal to use the quad for the job.
Well, my grandma owns a farm, but they're in the town next to us...a few miles away. I don't know if I can 'say' that she has land close to us or not. Do you have to prove it? I have nice neighbors that owns a farm. What do I need to prove that i "work" for them?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts