Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell is going on? Was there a law change? I am seeing quads and rhino's and rangers all over the streets up here.......

AND THEY HAVE PLATES

Any info on this or a SOS link for what the law is?

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
to my knowlage the law says you have to have a roof, windshield, seat belts, wipers, mirrors and a diff. rear axle so if they have all that then no problem.

·
14,442 Posts
and yes there is a link to the law, I have to go find it.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am wondering if something changed....cuz there are quads up here with license plates.

·
14,442 Posts

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Three and four-wheel all-terrain vehicles (ATV) cannot be upgraded for on-road use. ATV's are manufactured with a live axle, rather than a differential gear, which seriously affects their handling characteristics when operated on paved surfaces.
I think this is what has been challenged from what I have heard up here. Not all ATV's have a live axle. I have heard, but can't confirm it, that if it is shaft driven and has a diff then you can get plates for it providing you get the turn signals and mirrors.

·
14,442 Posts
Tim with that, what kind of Licence do you need to operate one that is plated? operators or Cycle indorcment?

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I have seen are motor cycle size plates on the quads and normal size car plates on the....whatever they are, like a Rhino or a Ranger. You know, those 4 wheel big things that you sit in and run it like a car.

I have yet to run one of these guys down and ask him about it. The first one I saw was a quad going the opposite way on the main drag here, right in front of the state police station. I was pulling a camper but I looked out the window as he went by and saw the little plate. The next was a red bigger ORV that had a regular car plate on it. I was walking into the store when I saw it go by.

·
14,442 Posts
dude that would be so cool if the state is finally allowing people to plate them, if its true then we can start down here. its just a matter of time.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, this is exactly what I saw on the road, with a plate. Even the same color. Took a while for me to find what I saw. I don't know much about these things.

·
14,442 Posts
Thats a razor 800 by Pulareass, they have all the right stuff to made legal if the state titles it that way. I don't see turn signals but thats easy enough.

·
Registered
475 Posts
my buddy just got his rhino legal. he had to add turn signals, saftyglass windshield, windshield wipers, and dot approved tires.

·
14,442 Posts
Thats great news. its about time I seen folks make this happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts