Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you 4wheeler guys. Iam looking for a quad 4 stroke with reverse and electric start.
The only one I know of is a Warrior, what other makes/models should I look for

Thanks for any input, SORRY i probably should have put this in the quad section Please move.

D.J.

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
dont overlook the polaris predator.

500cc, comes stock with fox shocks, douglass aluminum rims, holeshot tires, steel braided brake lines, and haul ass. (05+ have reverse) very capable machine right out of the box

I have seen used ones on craigslist for as low as $2900 (05 troy lee editions)

They dont have as much aftermarket support as a yamaha, suzuki, or honda..but are reliable (AMERICAN MADE) machine. check out predatorowners.com.

Be prepared for tons of trash talking from the yamaha fanboys...once you smoke a piped and jetted raptor on your stock quad (whose displacement is -160cc), they tend to respect it.

Add a pipe (leave stock header pipe), high flow air box, rejet, and hold on.

flame on fellas.
:)

·
Full Size Chevy
346 Posts
dont overlook the polaris predator.

500cc, comes stock with fox shocks, steel braided brake lines, and haul ass. (05+ have reverse)

I have seen used ones on craigslist for as low as $2900 (05 troy lee editions)

They dont have as much aftermarket support as a yamaha, suzuki, or honda..but are reliable (AMERICAN MADE) machine. check out predatorowners.com.

Be prepared for tons of trash talking from the yamaha fanboys...once you smoke a piped and jetted raptor on your stock quad (whose displacement is -160cc), they tend to respect it.

flame on
:)
Polaris also has the bad boy outlaw 525 that HAULS ASS! They also released their outlaw 450 yesterday too.

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Polaris also has the bad boy outlaw 525 that HAULS ASS! They also released their outlaw 450 yesterday too.
yeah, i do like the outlaws too (although i've never ridden one)

i hear the independent rear suspension is much more forgiving for trail riding.

They are a newer machine and will tend to bring in more money for resale...which is why I recommended the preddy. You can find gently used ones at a good price.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I will look into all of these

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Another good place to browse is atvconection.com. Their forum has sections for every major brand and the generic ones too...that way you can get an idea of what model/years to stay away from, potential problems for a particular machine, etc.

And also be aware that brand loyalty is HUGE (just like with anything....) and try to stay open minded about it.

The internet is a wonderful breeding ground for unjustified brand bashing and bandwagons.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another good place to browse is atvconection.com. Their forum has sections for every major brand and the generic ones too...that way you can get an idea of what model/years to stay away from, potential problems for a particular machine, etc.

And also be aware that brand loyalty is HUGE (just like with anything....) and try to stay open minded about it.

The internet is a wonderful breeding ground for unjustified brand bashing.

I will check that out aswell.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
ive owned a lot of quads and ridden almost every sport atv. I would say for a recreational/race type vehicle the z400 is the best. I loved my 400ex and would buy another one if i was looking for a 400, but the z400 is liquid cooled and has reverse. I know the 05+ 400ex's have reverse, im just not a fan of the new fenders and i think you could find a cheaper z400. As far as the raptor i feel it is a nice quad but very tippy unless you are a bigger guy. i just dont like the feel of the pred but it has nice suspension and hauls pretty well for its weight. MY best advice is to ride each one and see how it feels. I think the z is the best overall rec. fourwheeler.

by the way there is an atv section

1 - 17 of 17 Posts