Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to pull the t case out of my yj to put in a sye i have never pulled a tcase before whats the best way to go about doing it . thanks and please dont flame me to bad

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
well first you need to pull the floor tunnel cover off from inside the jeep than remove the shifter for the transfer case so its out of the way. Drop the skid than support the trans with a jackstand or jack. Mabey lower it a bit so you have more room to work with. Than undo the nuts. You will have to pry it apart since it has RTV sealeant. Than just work it out and it will drop. Not sure how much you can lift butits not that heavy. You will also wan't to drain the transmission since fluid will come out from there when u pull the t-case.

oh and dont forget to unbolt the front and the rear drive shafts :thumb: and also unplug the two wire connectors. There will also be a vent tub that has a hose clamp. Undo that as well.

·
8,046 Posts
What sye did you buy.

You shouldn't need to drop the whole case, just split it.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
i want to pull the t case out of my yj to put in a sye i have never pulled a tcase before whats the best way to go about doing it . thanks and please dont flame me to bad
Unbolt everything and then pull on it until it falls on your chest and breaks your ribs. :tonka:

I don't think I have ever bothered to remove the tunnel cover to do something like this.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
I don't think I have ever bothered to remove the tunnel cover to do something like this.
I guess you could just unbolt the shifter from the bottom, or just leave it in all together. I've only pulled the 231 once and that was 3 or so year ago.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
It can be removed without pulling the tunnel. Now if your pulling the trans it's alot easier to pull the tunnel cover.

In general....

1) Block the wheels

2) Remove front and rear driveshafts

3) Disconnect Vacuum switch connector, Speed sensor and vent tube

4) remove T-case shift linkage from trans (like 2 or 3 bolts/nuts)

5) remove the 6 nuts that hold the T-case to the trans. A 9/16
wobble socket and some long extensions make this a much easier process.

At this point it is disconnected, although depending on how long it's been together some prying between the T-case and trans may be required to seperate the RTV.
Leaving the Skid plate in place will make it a little tougher to get to some of the bolts, but you dont have to support the trans/ engine and when you pull the case off you can let it rest on the skid plate instead of having it crush you.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
ha crush you? Is it really that heavy? Like said above its been a long time since i dropped mine but can't remember it being that heavy???

The dana 300 I had to drop and re-install a few times in one nite , now that thing was sorta heavy to lift and hold while trying to line the splines up

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
What sye do you have to drop the entire t case for?
He has a YJ which in order to put in a SYE kit the rear output shaft is part of the kit which involves splitting the t-case in half.:poke:

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
No, but he's never done it before. :tonka:
I dont know how weak people are :)

and yes, when I built my 1:10 scale YJ that T-case looked fierce.

Actually I think the last time i removed a 231 was late 90's. And My dana 300 is lighter than an FSJ 229 which sucks to replace as i did twice in my waggy..........

·
8,046 Posts
He has a YJ which in order to put in a SYE kit the rear output shaft is part of the kit which involves splitting the t-case in half.:poke:
Wow really, my yj has the same case and I didn't need to drop the case to split it. I must be a jeep God.:poke:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have never done it before so i thought it would be better to do on a bench then if i f up i can take it somewhere. thanks for the help oh its a AA sye

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
the reason most people say to pull the transfer case is because it says so in the instructions. but yes, it can be done without pulling the t-case which is almost easier depending on who you ask. i'd rather deal with doing it in the vehicle than trying to get the 6 bolts out to pull the t-case, but then again i'm not doing it on my back.

if you decide to pull the t-case, i find that a 9/16 wratcheting wrench and a 9/16 stuby wratcheting wrench work best. you also don't have to do anything with the shift linkage other than disconnect it right at the little linkage bushing at the t-case.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
i like working on things on the bench. Don't have to worry about hitting your head on shat

·
8,046 Posts
the reason most people say to pull the transfer case is because it says so in the instructions. but yes, it can be done without pulling the t-case which is almost easier depending on who you ask. i'd rather deal with doing it in the vehicle than trying to get the 6 bolts out to pull the t-case, but then again i'm not doing it on my back.
x2
I left mine in and it took about an hour, You could spend that long dropping and installing the t case if you've never done it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts