Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doesn't happen to me much at all and isn't intended to be a complaint, but it has happened and I know I'll be the first one to be jumped on for violating a rule. :teehee: I've just observed it happening a lot lately, frequently more than once a day in the same thread.

Bumping someone else's thread effectively removes their ability to bump their own thread when they want to, such as during peak Marketplace viewing times. If you bump it and they bump it again later, it also puts the thread author at risk of an Infraction, which is particularly annoying to someone who wasn't even trying to do anything wrong. (Ask me how I know. :teehee:) The current "once a day" rule covers "buddy bumping", as well.

"Neglected" threads are a different situation. While they may not have been bumped for a while, the item may already be sold and you may end up wasting someone's time. This happens a lot when n00bs dig up an old thread.

Trying to help someone out because you think their item is cool certainly qualifies as a "good intention" and isn't really something to find fault with. However, your efforts may be better spent by posting or PMing the link around to potential buyers, such as users actively looking in the Wanted Forum. Identifying specific "targets" of your efforts works better than just throwing an item back to the top of the Forum and hoping someone sees it.

Just something to keep in mind to help put more Buyers and Sellers together. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
bump for the day crowd buddy ol pal )

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
This doesn't happen to me much at all and isn't intended to be a complaint, but it has happened and I know I'll be the first one to be jumped on for violating a rule. :teehee: I've just observed it happening a lot lately, frequently more than once a day in the same thread.

Bumping someone else's thread effectively removes their ability to bump their own thread when they want to, such as during peak Marketplace viewing times. If you bump it and they bump it again later, it also puts the thread author at risk of an Infraction, which is particularly annoying to someone who wasn't even trying to do anything wrong. (Ask me how I know. :teehee:) The current "once a day" rule covers "buddy bumping", as well.

"Neglected" threads are a different situation. While they may not have been bumped for a while, the item may already be sold and you may end up wasting someone's time. This happens a lot when n00bs dig up an old thread.

Trying to help someone out because you think their item is cool certainly qualifies as a "good intention" and isn't really something to find fault with. However, your efforts may be better spent by posting or PMing the link around to potential buyers, such as users actively looking in the Wanted Forum. Identifying specific "targets" of your efforts works better than just throwing an item back to the top of the Forum and hoping someone sees it.

Just something to keep in mind to help put more Buyers and Sellers together. :thumb:
I agree!!!!:thumb:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
omfg!

wait.

I can't figure out if you are being a dick.
I'm not. With the amount of traffic we have, selling anything here requires a little marketing strategy, such as getting threads where they will be seen at the right times. Taking it upon yourself to manage someone else's threads can easily shoot the other guy in the foot.

Also, many people looking for parts are not very proficient with the Advanced Search functions. Those that are not selling an item themselves (and have nothing better to do :teehee:) can be a big help in the Wanted Forum. :thumb:

·
Desert Rat
7,153 Posts
So are you saying in one bump a day rule, a question counts as a bump and you can't bump it after that?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So are you saying in one bump a day rule, a question counts as a bump and you can't bump it after that?
No. I'm referring to "bump for you", "bump for a cool whatever". This cool item has existed for less than a day and was already bumped twice by other people before it was apparently cleaned out by a Mod (just noticed that): http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=117067

I wouldn't think twice about a meaningful question. Many times I don't necessarily have interest in an item, but I'll ask questions of the seller in order to draw out important info that people will want to know. Most common errors I see are probably forgetting to mention the transmisison type in a vehicle for sale or the rim diameter in tire threads.

Good job identifying the loophole, though. :teehee:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts