Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was an interesting little news story. Think it's time something changes for libel cases (and slander for that matter) about public figures. I would hope this would create a better standard or some accountability for news outlets.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-clarence-thomas-calls-for-reconsideration-of-landmark-libel-case/ar-BBTOreO?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Tuesday called for reconsideration of a landmark First Amendment precedent, criticizing the 1964 decision that the Constitution creates a higher barrier for public figures to claim libel.

Thomas wrote alongside a court decision not to take up the case of a woman who accused Bill Cosby of sexual misconduct in 2014. He suggested that the seminal case New York Times v. Sullivan, holding that public figures have a higher burden to prove libel, was wrongly decided.

"New York Times and the Court's decisions extending it were policy-driven decisions masquerading as constitutional law," Thomas wrote.

"If the Constitution does not require public figures to satisfy an actual-malice standard in state-law defamation suits, then neither should we," the opinion states.

He continued, saying "We did not begin meddling in this area until 1964, nearly 175 years after the First Amendment was ratified. The States are perfectly capable of striking an acceptable balance between encouraging robust public discourse and providing a meaningful remedy for reputational harm. We should reconsider our jurisprudence in this area."

His position echoes complaints of President Donald Trump, who has called for libel laws to be reconsidered in light of news stories about him, said CNN Supreme Court analyst and University of Texas School of Law professor Steve Vladeck.

"Since he was on the campaign trail, President Trump has complained about libel laws in the United States, and has argued that they should be rewritten," Vladeck said. "Justice Thomas's opinion today concurring in the denial of certiorari is a roadmap to exactly that result."

It would take four justices to grant such a case should one even reach the high court and no other justice joined Thomas' opinion on Tuesday.

Trump has harped on the issue repeatedly, publicly calling on politicians to change the currently standing libel laws.

"Isn't it a shame that someone can write an article or book, totally make up stories and form a picture of a person that is literally the exact opposite of the fact, and get away with it without retribution or cost. Don't know why Washington politicians don't change libel laws?" Trump wrote on Twitter in September.

In another instance, Trump specifically named The New York Times in a March 2017 tweet: "The failing @nytimes has disgraced the media world. Gotten me wrong for two solid years. Change libel laws?"

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
Thought this was an interesting little news story. Think it's time something changes for libel cases (and slander for that matter) about public figures. I would hope this would create a better standard or some accountability for news outlets.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-clarence-thomas-calls-for-reconsideration-of-landmark-libel-case/ar-BBTOreO?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout
Sadly, news is more opinion based than factual these days it seems. It would be nice to get back to actually reporting the damn news. Sadly, I don't see anything changing.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts
Not. I'd rather have it all out there and use my own brain to decide what to believe than to have reporters afraid to report on things because they can't reveal their sources.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Not. I'd rather have it all out there and use my own brain to decide what to believe than to have reporters afraid to report on things because they can't reveal their sources.
That is the problem. Many reporters are making up stories/lies about people and the public believes every word written or spoken.
Even some of the stories you believe to be true are made up.
Facts do matter but the way reporters report the facts confuse people into believing the lies as fact.
I am all for the libel laws to be changed. A person should not be able to just make up crap about political figures or politicians/ people in general as true when in fact they are just lies.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts
That is the problem. Many reporters are making up stories/lies about people and the public believes every word written or spoken.
Even some of the stories you believe to be true are made up.
Facts do matter but the way reporters report the facts confuse people into believing the lies as fact.
I am all for the libel laws to be changed. A person should not be able to just make up crap about political figures or politicians/ people in general as true when in fact they are just lies.

Did you feel the same way when it was Obama who people were making up stories about?:poke:

I'd rather take my chances at people getting away with making up stories than having our 1st amendment rights infringed.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Did you feel the same way when it was Obama who people were making up stories about?:poke:

I'd rather take my chances at people getting away with making up stories than having our 1st amendment rights infringed.
The difference with the stories people made up about Barry was that they were just ordinary people that had FB as their soapbox.
They were not the hundreds of celebrities and news anchors and politicians that make up complete lies about Trump. These people had the opportunity to have the air waves and a world stage to spout their remarks.
I don't recall every cable news station on the same message about Trump going to get us into a war with NK or how Trump is going to destroy our relationship with china or Trump is going to get us into a recession.
I do remember how great Obama was though cause that's all I heard every day on every channel.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

But pissing all over the 2nd amendment is all cool right ???? because it makes u feel safer :teehee:

RBB

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have that now.

We also have people believe completely nonsense stories. And a generation that can't comprehend the necessary critical thinking to even begin to form a rational opinion; which is why they turn to following some jackoff cardassian and believing what they tell them to believe.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Libel and slander are not protected by the first amendment. Which is why there are already libel and slander laws.

The Justice is trying to change them to have more inclusion for public people. Which should be the case. Yes, I did have a problem with it about Obama too. Anyone should be able to hold someone accountable for libel and slander

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts
The difference with the stories people made up about Barry was that they were just ordinary people that had FB as their soapbox.
They were not the hundreds of celebrities and news anchors and politicians that make up complete lies about Trump. These people had the opportunity to have the air waves and a world stage to spout their remarks.
I don't recall every cable news station on the same message about Trump going to get us into a war with NK or how Trump is going to destroy our relationship with china or Trump is going to get us into a recession.
I do remember how great Obama was though cause that's all I heard every day on every channel.:thumb:
All of those things you referenced about Trump are opinions about what will happen in the future.

Slander would be telling lies about his past, like if you said someone was born in Kenya when they were actually born in Hawaii, or claiming he was Muslim when he wasn't.

·
Project Antitube
901 Posts
Baby boomers are by far the most likely to fall for fake news and more importantly parrot it. The same is true for religious people.

You can't really legislate stoopid.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
All of those things you referenced about Trump are opinions about what will happen in the future.

Slander would be telling lies about his past, like if you said someone was born in Kenya when they were actually born in Hawaii, or claiming he was Muslim when he wasn't.
What about the continuous noise about how Trump is a racist and we hear this everyday from people that have a voice that is heard across the country and beyond. He has done more to help people of color than Obama ever did.

·
Registered
387 Posts
What about the continuous noise about how Trump is a racist and we hear this everyday from people that have a voice that is heard across the country and beyond. He has done more to help people of color than Obama ever did.

Can you please explain what trump has done specifically for people of color ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Can you please explain what trump has done specifically for people of color ?

Lowest unemployment ever. Justice reform act which for the most part targets black people. There are more black people in prison for minor drug offenses which have long prison terms.
Just saying that if you paid attention to rightwing media you would hear about the positive things Trump has done for the country. Something you don't hear on the left wing propaganda machine(the leftwing media).
There are prominent blacks that say Trump is the most pro black president ever.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts
Still not a "fact" that can be disproven.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Look to the facts and beyond your dislike for him. Rightwing news is full of the positive things he has done. Open mind

So white peoples don’t benefit from low unemployment? That’s line is is right wing propaganda that black unemployment is low. It’s all low!!!! And the justice reform bill is only for federal crimes and it actually can work against people of color
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/future-perfect/2018/12/3/18122392/first-step-act-criminal-justice-reform-bill-congress

You present so much false opinions as facts it’s not funny. You are so blinded by ur beliefs you can form your own opinion and you just repeat what your told.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
So white peoples don’t benefit from low unemployment? That’s line is is right wing propaganda that black unemployment is low. It’s all low!!!! And the justice reform bill is only for federal crimes and it actually can work against people of color
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/future-perfect/2018/12/3/18122392/first-step-act-criminal-justice-reform-bill-congress

You present so much false opinions as facts it’s not funny. You are so blinded by ur beliefs you can form your own opinion and you just repeat what your told.

You follow leftwing propaganda as truth and I follow rightwing news as truth.
You repeat what Don leamon says and I repeat what Sean Hanity and Bret Beur says.
People that had prison sentences of 30 years or more for small simple drug crimes now have the opportunity to get out and have already been released. With Obama that chance wasn't even there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well ur dead wrong again. I do not have cable and do not listen to politics on the radio, I read things that interest me and keep a open mind and try to see it from both sides and form my own opinions, you should really try it sometime. I dunno who that guy is you think I listen too. But it’s nice ya finally admit your a right wing parrot

1 - 20 of 27 Posts