Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finaly got my motor all together and in the truck. Will be starting it real soon and i was just woundering the proper way to break it in. How many miles? What do i run it at the first 15min, etc.

It is a pretty built up 350.

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Heh, once you've broken in the cam, then find a flat long road. Do several wide open throttle runs up to ~60 mph, with hard engine braking after each run. Then change the oil and enjoy.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Cam break in is usually around 15-20 minutes at around 2500 rpm. If thats what u were asking in the first post. Keep an eye on engine temp tho, u dont want to burn it up or run it too lean during that.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
no ur really suppose to run for 15-20 for the initial break in, so im told by a buddy who is a major small block guy. I guess run as long as possible before u see that damage might occur from heat. Might want to run an old school mechanical gauge setup for the temp, for break in.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
if you put fans in front of it wouldnt that defeted the purpose of the fan on the motor once its in the truck and driving.... or in the mud wheeling... let it break its self in at the normaly temp as if you stuck in mud and dont get the flow you need there.... there warmer the motor is during break in the better... just as said above.. dont let it get to the point damage will occur... mine runs at about 200 210 range in a blazer.... with a smal block fuel inected k5 blazer

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
gotcha... is just let it run where it wants to run on its own to see if there actually is a problem where the system wasnt bleed all the way or the coolant level isnt right... what coolant ratio did you end up going wiht???

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
I'm telling you run it hard...you won't be sorry...none of this heat cycle crap or anything...same thing when you buy a race engine, those guys run it on a dyno harder than you would for the life of an engine....just remember bring to operating temp before you give it the hammer

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that once the cam is broken in ill run it hard. And yes i do know to let it warm up first.

Fish boy, it is just premixed 50/50. Still have to get more though. Takes like 4 gallons i think. Put 3 in and its not every close to full.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts