Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished hooking up my propane kit last night and got the engine running but it died out after about 30 seconds and I could not get it restarted on propane.

I have a 305 with an Impco 300A mounted on top of a quadrajet. The 300A is fed via an Impco Model E regulator, which in turn is fed from an Impco vacuum actuated fuel lock.

If I force vacuum to the fuel lock and pull the low pressure feed off the 300A I can see and hear the propane vapor.

So, I guess my question is has anyone else gone through this? Could it strictly be a timing issue? Vacuum? Tips? Anybody?

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, good idea. I'll park it in the garage and leave the gas on for a while first....

('8

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
I finally finished hooking up my propane kit last night and got the engine running but it died out after about 30 seconds and I could not get it restarted on propane.

I have a 305 with an Impco 300A mounted on top of a quadrajet. The 300A is fed via an Impco Model E regulator, which in turn is fed from an Impco vacuum actuated fuel lock.

If I force vacuum to the fuel lock and pull the low pressure feed off the 300A I can see and hear the propane vapor.

So, I guess my question is has anyone else gone through this? Could it strictly be a timing issue? Vacuum? Tips? Anybody?

Propane how do you see propane it is a clear gas, it smells only because man put the smell in propane.

Sounds like you have a vaccuum leak. I aggree light a match to help find the leaks.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Propane how do you see propane it is a clear gas, it smells only because man put the smell in propane.

Sounds like you have a vaccuum leak. I aggree light a match to help find the leaks.
hey ****.....if u have the right lighting behind the gas u can see it riseing.....kinda like watching hot air rise from the top of a car in the sun.......and i think most ppl know they put a roten egg smell in it for that specific purpose..........o and last but not least.....don't agree with me....somone might believe u.....im glad he thought it was a good idea though....as a joke

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
hey ****.....if u have the right lighting behind the gas u can see it riseing.....kinda like watching hot air rise from the top of a car in the sun.......and i think most ppl know they put a roten egg smell in it for that specific purpose..........o and last but not least.....don't agree with me....somone might believe u.....im glad he thought it was a good idea though....as a joke
hey dipstick i added your joke to my comment as a joke.

As for the problem at hand it sounds like it is a vaccuum leak. If the system is vaccuumm operated, and the line is primed and then when the priming is gone the engine dies.

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
traced the problem back to the fitting on the lp tank. I drilled the opening wider and now everything is running smoothly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts