Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since my wife is working again, I has some extry time & monies to build something :woot:
I recently picked up a really clean CJ frame w/ axles, a tub & a lift already on it, but It was to nice to cut up and weld to.

So, since I couldn't sell my other pile of parts I decided to build it. This is what I'm starting with:

Parts list so far:

350 Chevy with a decent cam, heads, and intake
Beefed 700R4
[strike]Scout 44s (will eventually get tons but I don't have a front 60 yet)[/strike]
Dana 300
[strike]Some "usable" 35" SSRs [/strike]

Plans:
Build it on a budget.
SOA
Remove 2" body lift and install 1 " Daystar bushings.
Convert front springs to YJ style or something of the like.
Get it running by the fall (probably wont happen :( )

Well...... Plans changed :sonicjay::sonicjay:

Walmart panties has gone from CJ to Islander :teehee:.

I parted out the CJ and I was able to buy this 90 YJ that is really clean for its age. It was sitting in a garage for 10 years because it quit running. I put a battery and a fuel pump on it. It fired up and drove on to my trailer :sonicjay:. Specs so far...

258 cyl
ax15
hard top, soft top, full doors and half doors.

I also bought a Dana 60 front axle off of Mr. Crawl :woot: and sold the Dana 44 front.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,634 Posts
lOVE DA TITLE.

Hope you get a big sticker to name this jEeP.

·
End nerd persecution
2,248 Posts
So........Guess that means I can't steal anymore parts off of it and you'll be raiding my garage for Chevy 350 parts.......:teehee:

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
didn't you say you were scrapping it a couple weeks ago? lol

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
didn't you say you were scrapping it a couple weeks ago? lol
Yes but my plans changed. I couldn't let myself f-up a near mint frame that my other project had. I disassembled that Jeep and hid it around my garage. This gave me enough room to be able to keep this one and build it. I will do a full resto dune & light trail only rig to that one (the nice frame one).

Tom suffers from severe ADD. He's always changing his mind! :poke:
:finger:

Do all tranny's have this problem?:beer:
No, most trannys have serious drug and alcohol problems...

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, plans changed and I updated my first post :teehee:

Sold the CJ and bought a YJ, Dana 60s and a bunch more parts. It is going to stay a 6 cyl until next winter. I'm going to get started next weekend with doing the axle swaps.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
i have seen how fast you can work..this should be done in a week.nice start, good luck!

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I almost forgot I bought a set of 38.5" TSL SXs from SANDVPR. I haven't seen them yet :( but they are on this side of the state I just have to go get them.:sonicjay:

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I parted out the CJ and I was able to buy this 90 YJ that is really clean for its age. It was sitting in a garage for 10 years because it quit running. I put a battery and a fuel pump on it. It fired up and drove on to my trailer :sonicjay:. Specs so far...

258 cyl
ax15

I also bought a Dana 60 front axle off of Mr. Crawl :woot: and sold the Dana 44 front.[/QUOTE]

You left out one other thing that came with the Jeep

Possums

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

258 cyl
ax15

I also bought a Dana 60 front axle off of Mr. Crawl :woot: and sold the Dana 44 front.

You left out one other thing that came with the Jeep

Possums
We should go pick up my tires tonight.

·
safety cone killer !!!
325 Posts
hay tom good to see you with a project or projects keep wheeling and dealing so you can take a rig down south this summer or fall. :woot:

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't done much....

I pulled the motor because I someone offered me good money for a good running 258.

I stripped and cleaned the perches off of the rear 60

Bought some 38.5" TSL SXs

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I need opinions. The front 60 I bought was already set up in a jeep with a 3 link and coils. Should I leave them on, 3 link it, and run tj coils? Or should I cut them off and run spring over? If I leave them on, I'm going to have to change the upper 3 link mount and the track bar mount. They are welded on retarded and i dont like them. I was thinking of buying a sinister fab upper mount for it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts